My First 5 Cooks - WSM

James Harvey

TVWBB Pro
So, I've done 4 cooks in my new WSM:

1) Fresh Ham (It was Easter). Next time I will do a partially cooked ham for the true ham flavour. 6 out of 10
2) Back Ribs (I rarely did backs when I smoked offset on my cheapie grill with smoker bags but my wife picked up 4 fat ones for a great deal at Costco). 7 out of 10 (probably 1hr too long)
3) Full Brisket - My first overnighter and I lost heat while I slept and finished in the oven. Have since bought an ET-73 for the alarm features.
4) Pork Butt - 2nd overnighter, this time with the ET-73. Packed the fuel ring to overflowing and got a nice 240F cook for 10hrs. Added more K and water in the morning and the butt was great. Used the No. 5 Sauce to finish. Friends and family gave it a 10 so I gave it an 8.

My question is, what's next? My wife picked up a huge vac packed pork loin with a nice fat cap but I know the cap won't render and the meat doesn't have much internal fat. I'm thinking either beef backs or a full beef short rib roast.

Any thoughts?

James

Meat loaf.

The recipe is found on the main site.

MMMMM!

Home made pastrami, from scratch.

MMMMM! x2

Hi James - Sounds like you are planning to keep the Q'n pretty active. Good for you. You might want to take a look at the standing rib roast under Cooking Topics on the home page in here. I've done the one with Montreal Steak Seasoning for the rub and it has been super successful every time. It's an easy no brainer and everyone will think you are a definite pro. Good luck on all your cooks. Bob
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Thanks Jon & Bob.

I've been reading about both the meatloaf and rib roast.

Jon - In doing a meatloaf, using good beef, do I have to worry about low temps for a longer cook or should I try to cook it a little higher (no water in the pan, around 300F)?

Bob - From what I've read, I should do the roast in normal smoke temps but finish it in a high heat oven. Correct?

I'm open to input.

Thanks all.

James

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My wife picked up a huge vac packed pork loin with a nice fat cap but I know the cap won't render and the meat doesn't have much internal fat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

James, cook this at 250-275 (no water) till 130 internal. Take WSM apart, put top grate on the cc ring and sear for a couple min on both sides.

See pics: http://img188.imageshack.us/g/img00262c.jpg/

Back