My experience with a 17.5 lb chuck roll

a gampher

The posts I find most helpful are the ones that describe successful smokes, so here's my latest:

In preparation for a party this last weekend, I bought a 17.5 lb choice Angus chuck roll from the local Sam's Club. I cut it in half and rubbed the halves with Worcestershire and TexasBBQ Brisket Blend, then tied them up with some twine just like a pork butt. I filled the ring with regular Kingsford mixed with chunks of hickory, got the cooker up to 225 (I use a foiled clay pot base instead of water), then put a hunk of chuck on each grate. It stayed at 225 until I went to bed (~3 hours). When I woke up the next morning (~6 hours later) it was up to around 270, so I adjusted the vents. It sat between 230 and 250 for 7.5 more hours, then I pulled them off the cooker (16.5 hours total cook time). I pulled them when I could put a probe through them and feel very little resistance. I didn't baste or spray the meat for the entire cook. I let it sit in a cooler with blankets for an hour, then pulled it just like pulled pork. I added some extra rub, then mixed it all up to get the bark evenly distributed. The meat was nice and moist, and there was plenty of bark/smoke taste in every bite.

No pictures, sorry! I always intend to take some, but every time I should there are hungry people hovering over the freshly smoked food and I forget.

That sounds good. Do they have the Chuck Rolls in the case or do you have to ask for them special? I haven't seen them at our Sams's Club.

I strayed away from hickory for the last couple of years, but it sounds good to me for this application.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pete Z:
That sounds good. Do they have the Chuck Rolls in the case or do you have to ask for them special? I haven't seen them at our Sams's Club.

I strayed away from hickory for the last couple of years, but it sounds good to me for this application. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I rang the bell and asked one of the meat counter guys. He came back a few minutes later with a huge chunk of it all shrink-wrapped.

I pretty much use hickory for most cuts these days, as I'm getting lazy. I suppose I should get some more oak/apple. Any suggestions for a different "go-to" wood? I don't like stocking 3-4 different kinds.

Hickory is fine and it is what I grew up associating with smoked meats. I just over-hickoried at some point. My go-to wood is apple, but I cut a BUNCH of it a couple of years ago from an orchard (yes, I had permission). If I didn't have so much apple then I would use a lot more oak and pecan (which I can also get easily). Apple is my favorite, though.

I think cherry is probably my favorite go-to wood, followed by oak, then maple, then hickory. Hickory is my pork butt wood usually, mixed with a cherry or two. Luckily, I have a wood source, so I can get whatever I need/want pretty easily. Still come back to the cherry though for most everything.

Hickory is too strong for me. I prefer Apple or Sugar maple. I also have some red oak,pear, and a small bit of cherry. If someone cuts down a hardwood tree I don't mind grabbing a few slices for future use.

Back