My Apologies to our Canadian cousins...

Keith H.

TVWBB Pro
Some time back, I committed the indiscretion of making fun of something (Montreal Steak Seasoning) of which I knew nothing about. I jokingly inferred that our Canadian cousins were being presumptuous(sp?) naming a steak seasoning after Montreal. To this I humbly extend my apologies.

Whilst meandering through BJ's (eg: Costco, Sam's, etc.) I noted a largish container of Montreal Steak Seasoning. Reasoning to myself that Shawn (et al) could not be wrong, I bought a bottle. It is now used on all steaks I grill and even on briskets I smoke. What a mahvelous seasoning package.

Again, my apologies to our Canadian cousins and a recommendation to all, if you haven't tried it you should (at least before footing one's mouth).
icon_eek.gif

A gracious apology Keith and, if I may be so presumptuous, I will accept it on behalf of Canadian members of TVWBBB even though, as far as I know, I have never been in the same postal district as something called Montreal Steak Seasoning.

On the subject of Montreal, however, I can pass on some information that will interest you and other TVWB devotees -- Montreal Smoked Meat.
Before they die, everybody should visit Ben's or Schwartz's for the full-fat smoked meat on rye with mustard. It ain't smoked brisket, it ain't pastrami, although it is slightly similar to both. It's heaven with a dill pickle is what it is. I will expect my usual gratuity from the Montreal Tourism Board.

Keith, the first time I used it back last summer was on a rib roast via the cooking section. My store had the regular and a kick it up a notch spicy montreal steak seasoning. Well I have had it sitting around and I started using it on hamburgers and steaks on the grill. Definately becoming a staple at my house.

Montreal don't they speak french there. Don't get me started.
icon_wink.gif

Woa! There's a *spicy* Montreal Seasoning? For those who have tried both, which do you prefer? Is it a *little* spicier or a *BAM* spicer? Are there additional flavor components in the spicy version that are not in the the Original version?

Rita

I also just used "Montreal Seasoning" yesterday for the first time. I had some feral hog (bone in pork chops) that was fresh from a friend. He recomended that I use the seasoning and then "grill it like a steak".... it came out awesome!! I used the McCormick (sp?) Montreal Seasoning in the large container from BJs.

I can't wait to try it on normal steak!

Montreal Steak Spice is the fav for steaks over Lawry's or Hy's in this house. I'll put some in a side dish like potatoe packs, sauteed mushrooms or on steamed cauliflower with butter. I also really like it in hash browns (pan fries) with fried onions for breakfast.

We've been enjoying McCormick's Montreal Chicken spice as well.

Glad to hear you enjoy it Keith.

So it does have a little more complexity too. Thanks, Doug. I'll be on the lookout for it.

Rita

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That must be why I didn't care tor Montreal Seasoning, I don't care for Fennel. I'll try that w/o the fennel. I bought some of the seasoning, used it once, gave it away to a guy at work.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:
Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That must be why I didn't care tor Montreal Seasoning, I don't care for Fennel. I'll try that w/o the fennel. I bought some of the seasoning, used it once, gave it away to a guy at work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll second the fennel is nasty thing.
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
I guess you two don't care for Italian sausage then either, huh?
icon_wink.gif

Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I ate Italian sausage that had fennel in it and I could taste it, you're right, I would not take a second bite. Matter of fact, the first bite would probably hit the trash can.
icon_wink.gif

I would point out that, while fennel is in the recipe offered in the original post of the thread I cited, it does not appear on the ingredient list of either McCormick version, nor do the rosemary and thyme.

No apology here. Montreal steak seasoning
can stay in Montreal. It is just plain nasty. But they have great fireworks!

If you look around you may find what I have from McCormicks. Grill Mates Pork Rub. I use it on butts and ribs for those who don't like any spicey food. I highly recommend it and you can also play with it a little tweaking it here and tweaking it there. I cruise the season isles in every store I go into. Theres always that off chance you might find something new you haven't tried yet.

We love it in my house, my kids don't even want steak if I run out of it and I grind it up fine and put it in a pepper shaker and it sits on the table all the time

As I am heading to Montreal at the end of April, which of those delis would experienced people prefer? I'd like to give them a shot, but if I can only hit one, which one should I try?

thx

I'm from Canada and don't thiink this spice is such a big deal. I would use the rubs off this site anyday. Everyone has their own taste though. If I was to pick one I would choose the Steak spice. When in Montreal be sure to try some poutine and get some maple syrup.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As I am heading to Montreal at the end of April, which of those delis would experienced people prefer? I'd like to give them a shot, but if I can only hit one, which one should I try? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're all good, Brandon, but if you're just going to do one then it should be Ben's (on Maisonneuve), which is a Montreal landmark with heaps of atmosphere and really good smoked meat.

Back