my 22.5 WSM modifications-with pics SS door, handles, charcoal grate.

Ward F.

Got the new 22.5 stainless steel door from Cajun bandit today!

Also added handles. Ordered the weber plastic handles from weber customer service. for the metal under the handle, I used 2 2x2 shelf bracket that we bent in a vice grip (used a vice grip right in home depot) and then since the two overlapped under the handle we cut them to match up in the middle using an angle grinder so the metal is two pieces but the platic handle holds it all in one piece nicely.

Finally, also using the angle grinder, my friend helped me cut a sheet of expanded metal to cover the charcoal grate, so less charcoal falls through.
bullet1b.jpg

bullet2h.jpg

bullet3g.jpg

bullet4p.jpg

That charcoal grate is a fine idea - I'm going to look into doing something similar.

How are you liking the CB door? Fitment OK?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt B.:
That charcoal grate is a fine idea - I'm going to look into doing something similar.

How are you liking the CB door? Fitment OK? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just got it in--by appearances it seems to fit nicely, but I will be smoking with it over the weekend and will see how it does.

Edit- first cook did great, looks to be a great addition.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan {dutch oven Dan}:
is the handle above the door attached to the top or the center section???/?

if the top, why? or is yours HINGED?

inquiring minds want to know </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That additional (lid) handle is standard on the 22.5" WSM. Compared to the 18", the 22.5" lid is heavy and unwieldy.

Nice mods! I have to order the door for my 22.5. Love the extra handles too. Another option for the charcoal grate is if you have an extra cooking or charcoal grate from another round grill/cooker, or smoker that is the same size as the charcoal ring or a tad larger. Put the extra grate on the existing grate and turn it 1/4 turn. This will create much smaller holes that charcoal will not fall through. I had a beat up trashed brinkman and just used the grates from it. Works great and no cutting or fabrication.

That looks really nice, and the grate is great
icon_smile.gif
I added a second charcoal grate to my WSM from an 18.5" kettle, and it was a huge improvement. Now I want to do something for the charcoal grate on my 22.5" kettle, so I'll probably use expanded metal for that.

-Mark.

have wanted to do the expanded metal thing for some time, but don't know how to cut it.what's an angle grinder? not a very handy guy with the tools, unfortunately......

Just finished my version of the "3-in-1 charcoal grate mod"...basically the same as Sean Flanagan from Australia did and is featured on this web site. I don't have my camera with me, when I return home this afternoon, I'll post a photo of it.
This mod eliminates the gap in the grate on each end that allows charcoal to drop in the base kettle. Also with welded handles, it holds the coal chamber in place and makes clean-up of extinguished coals quite easy. I'm liking it
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Again, photos at 10.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JeffS:
have wanted to do the expanded metal thing for some time, but don't know how to cut it.what's an angle grinder? not a very handy guy with the tools, unfortunately...... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

An angle grinder and cutting wheels for angle grinders are at any hardware store--but if you are not great with tools I would not recommend buying it just for this (it can be very dangerous if not handled with care as you are cutting metal with an unprotected spinning wheel)--search your local yellow pages for welders or machine shops and you can take the grate to them and ask them to cut you a piece to size pretty inexpensively. Or as many have done, just add a second grate and turn it the other direction to prevent as much from falling through--For me the expanded metal option was cheap since my friend had the tools.

Hi Ward,
I like your pics. I am thinking of doing the handle mod on my WSM 22, what is the width of the flat steel you used for the handles?
thaks again for the pics, it is a great idea.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by P. Kelly:
Hi Ward,
I like your pics. I am thinking of doing the handle mod on my WSM 22, what is the width of the flat steel you used for the handles?
thaks again for the pics, it is a great idea. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We just used the angle brackets that were 1 inch thick and already had L shape and holes (like you could put a shelf on), We just used a vice grip in Home Depot to bend the end that attaches to the weber.

Back