My 1989 Unicorn Barn Find

Cody Bratton

TVWBB Super Fan
When I first curb rescued my work grill, it was missing the folding side table. I looked around to no avail, prior to finding this site.

Then I see it’s what I thought twin posted for sale about an hour and change away. I messaged the guy, he said he’d hold it for a few hours. Text my brother, and he was up for a road trip. So off we went. Wasn’t expecting much for $25, but I knew I’d have the folding table hardware I needed.

When we got there, I was in shock. I don’t think it’s been cooked on more than 25-30 times, or the dude who owned it since new did a crazy clean up after each use! Sadly at some point he spray painted the wood, but not the handle, so there’s overspray on the Z bars. But I’ll let the pics do the talking. I’ve added nothing to this except the table rod leg clip.

The only thing I see missing, is the end off the handle side of the rotisserie.

Cheers! 🍻

*Edit* After getting it back, I did no cleaning or anything. I tucked it away in a back corner at work where my supervisor aides and encourages my Weberitits, I currently have 5 here in various stages of dis/assembly. But I will be putting this on a back burner until I can give it my full-undivided attention such a gem deserves.

Attachments

• IMG_7019.jpeg
    IMG_7019.jpeg
    139.7 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7011.jpeg
    IMG_7011.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7009.jpeg
    IMG_7009.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_7012.jpeg
    IMG_7012.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7013.jpeg
    IMG_7013.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7014.jpeg
    IMG_7014.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7017.jpeg
    IMG_7017.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7018.jpeg
    IMG_7018.jpeg
    178.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7020.jpeg
    IMG_7020.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_7021.jpeg
    IMG_7021.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_7022.jpeg
    IMG_7022.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7023.jpeg
    IMG_7023.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7007.jpeg
    IMG_7007.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7008.jpeg
    IMG_7008.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7016.jpeg
    IMG_7016.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Excellent Cody!!👌🏼 And those covers are hard to find. I just bought one but they don't come up often. They don't make them near like they used to.

I seem to see a lot of decent pickups in Michigan....but I understand that it is a big state. The key to finding home runs is spending a lot of time checking the sale sites. Early bird gets the worm.
Lucky for me there doesn't seem to be any competition for these old 13 bar Webers near me.

IDK about some of you guys. You keep falling into piles of :poop: :poop: and come out smelling like roses

I feel this was to offset my horrible run last year (this is the one that jump started my Weberitis), but I had a bad summer last year. This grill seemed to swing the luck.

I seem to see a lot of decent pickups in Michigan....but I understand that it is a big state. The key to finding home runs is spending a lot of time checking the sale sites. Early bird gets the worm.

Yeah, when we picked it up he said it was only posted for about 15 minutes. The guy who listed it was the great nephew of the original owner. His dad said he wanted it but his wife would never let him have another grill. He said he had a performer, newer Genesis, traeger and a blackstone. But when I told him I’d likely be freshening it up and keeping it he was happy he sold it to me, as he had several inquiries from the time I told him I was coming until I got there.

Seattle area driving is a pain. Traffic sucks here but on the bright side there doesn't seem to be competition here especially for older Weber bbqs so if something comes up I can pretty much take it or leave it or wait for the price to go down.

Seattle area driving is a pain. Traffic sucks here but on the bright side there doesn't seem to be competition here especially for older Weber bbqs so if something comes up I can pretty much take it or leave it or wait for the price to go down.

FWIW, I wasn't really referring to driving or traffic in Detroit... it's more about personal safety and the risk of becoming a 'rescue' myself.

The real thing for me is simple, I just don’t NEED or want any more projects. I have enough crap to fool with for the time being. I just don’t find what I think of as a “great find”.
It’s fine, I’m not cryin’ over it.
That's where I'm at now.
For the right one I'll drive for sure though. Through Compton or where ever.

Last edited:
The real thing for me is simple, I just don’t NEED or want any more projects. I have enough crap to fool with for the time being. I just don’t find what I think of as a “great find”.
It’s fine, I’m not cryin’ over it.

It’s all about the hunt for me. Hell I haven’t sold anything, and I doubt I ever will. But a freebie is a freebie and I’ll sell anything for a profit…aside from my kids

Back