Mustard Smoking Question

M D Baldwin

TVWBB Super Fan
Last weekend on the Food Channel they had some programs about competition BBQ. I saw several people putting mustard out of the jar on the meat befor eputting on the rub. Now I use dry mustard in my rub, but have never seen this. Is it worth a try? I am always up for something new.

If people were rubbing mustard on their meat I'm guessing they were using it as a bonding agent for their rub. If we are talking about the same thing that is the case. The mustard taste cooks off and what you get is a supposed nicer bark.

I use a mustard slather with brisket. I does help hold more rub on the meat. As stated above you cannot taste the mustard at all in the finished product, and I think it does help the bark a little. It's worth a try, decide for your self if it's worth it.

I use cheap old yellow mustard, straight out of the squeeze bottle on my butts sometimes. Then sometimes, I just spray them with apple juice and some vinegar. We like it both ways. But, I always use a rub, no matter what.

Last time I did bb ribs I slathered them with some mustard, then the rub. They were great. I just wanted to try it. And would do it again. Really gave the rub something to stick to. It's just fun to play around with different methods. I will use the mustard on the ribs again.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by M D Baldwin:
Last weekend on the Food Channel they had some programs about competition BBQ. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I Tivo'd the same show...

I have use a mustard slather on my butts with good results, but I have one caution. When I got a little fancy, I used some mustard that my father-in-law made. I had yellow mustard, jalipino, brown sugar and maybe some other things. The mustard is very good on a sandwich, but it did not work well in this application. I think the sugar basically burned and gave the bark an off taste.

I use a mustard slather on everything but poultry. The cheap value brand from the local supermarket works great at holding the rub. I prefer the mustard to anything else I've tried since it is a thicker base and sticks better.

For the last couple of years I have been using plain old Wooster sauce as the binder. Works great and not quite as messy.

To Dan N.-
I usally use Worchestershire to dampen the meat Before applying the rub. I wonder if the mustard is any different?
Thanks to all who commented

When I use mustard on ribs or butts I usually store bought jalapeno mustard.

On brisket I use wooster or combo of mustard & steak sauce.

I use the mustard to hold on my rub, usually right before I put the meat on the smoker. I've heard that some people, slather their meat with mustard and rub, then wrap in plastic wrap and set in the fridge for a couple of hours. when they are ready to put it on the smoker thay add more rub.

Back