Mustard slathered brisket: How long before cooking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob O

TVWBB Pro
Hi, I'm going to try a mustard slathered brisket for the first time. How long should I let the mustard and rub sit on the brisket before cooking?

Is 8 hours about right?

Well, Rob, anymore I typically will trim and rub the brisket right before I start the fire, which gives it maybe 30 minutes at the most. I've let it sit 12 hours, 24 hours, and 1/2 hour, and, honestly, can't really tell the difference. I WILL let it sit long enough so that the rub takes on a "wet" appearance, though.

Hi,

I read somewhere...really can't remember where...that someone rubbed the brisket with their dry spices first then covered with mustard. Explanation was that it was better to have the rub on the meat and that the mustard helped form a crust.

I've never tried it but it sort of makes sense. or not !!LOL

Al

Paul Kirk brushes on the mustard slather first and then sprinkles on the rub. This seems like it would do better than vice versa b/c the slather will go on nice and smooth, and then provide a nice tacky surface for the rub.

I used mustard for a few years but have gone completely away from using it.
I want bark to be the combination of the natural juices of the meat and the rub, it has served me well to leave mustard for a spread on bread.
Jim

When using mustard, I only use enough to slightly color the meat and to provide more "stickiness" to allow the rub to adhere. I do this immmediately prior to placing on the smoker, with no waiting time.

Like Jim, I have moved away from using mustard for most meats. I tried mixing the mustard or other liquid for a wet rub, but find I like the texture of the bark when I just rub in the rub. Some say to just sprinkle the rub, I massage it in.

Dale and Jim,

Thanks for the advice. I've followed the advice in both your posts and you haven't sent me the wrong way yet.

No doubt I'll be going back to doing it without the mustard after this cook. I'm still learning and experimenting with what I like and this is just another "ticket I've gotta punch."

Thanks again guys. I'll post some pics and let you all know how it turns out.

I'm still learning what I like

That is what BBQ is all about--experimenting with different recipes until you find the one you like, then working to make that recipe even better.

Thanks guys. Here are some pics.

Fun with Mustard

Brisket went on 11 hours ago and was up to 173* before I put the ribs on 20 minutes ago. Now it's dropped back down to 169.

For whatever reason the pit smells incredibly good.

For whatever reason the pit smells incredibly good.

But OF COURSE it does, Rob my friend!!
icon_razz.gif

Big Al

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back