Mustard Before Rub?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I jsut read some of 'The Baron of Barbeque's suace book and he recommends applying some sort of mustard glaze to form a crust and help hold on the rub. Has anybody tried this?

Read Kirk's book a few weeks ago and put his mustard theory to the test recently. I applied a mustard rub to half of the slabs of spares I cooked up last weekend and to half of the whole chickens I cooked up this weekend. After comparing each meat to the non-mustard pieces I can tell you that I do believe the mustard did help form a crust and keep my rub onto my pieces.
The food did not aquire a mustard taste whatsoever.

And the look your wife gives you as you apply a thick coating of mustard is worth it. (Or anyone else that sees it). This ain't your daddies pork butt.

I've been doing this for a few years now- starting back when I was cooking on my old ECB.
The mustard does hold the rub on, and really does seem to create a better bark. I use it on spares and butts, and have yet to be able to detect a mustard flavor on the finished product.

I always use mustard for butts and ribs, prior to applying the rub. I have omitted the mustard before and I do notice a better crust when I use the mustard. I use a regular yellow mustard and I don't notice any mustard taste in the finished product.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back