Mustard bark for baby back ribs?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Next cook of baby backs (not BRITU, thank you very much) I'm going to do at least 1 rack with yellow mustard before the rub to help build a thicker bark.

Any tips? I'm thinking more on the top meat side, less if any at all on the bone side. Also will go easy on the salt, and probably have a different finishing rub. Maybe I'm over-thinking this but I'm wondering if I'll want more smoke due to the thick bark barrier, or will I just end up with a really smoky bark that way?

Hmm, come to think of it I might also toss a rack of spares on also and just let those cook longer.

Jason-

I don't really think about amounts much when I do it as the mustard pretty much just disappears anyway. I just squeeze a line on the top, brush it out, apply the rub, flip repeat. I don't put as much rub on the bone side as the meat side, but the amount of mustard just doesn't seem to matter.

I don't think that the mustard will affect your smoke penetration, so you probably don't need to mess with that. You may notice smokier bark just because there's more of it.

Without a doubt, you should put some spares on. That's what you get to eat for lunch the next day!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Rich

Hey Jason....

Go one step further and cut each rack in half and use different amounts of mustard and rubs. It basically gives you twice as many experiments to do.

Don't worry about cutting them in half they will cook exactly the same.

Be sure to let us know your thoughts! I know you usually do!

If you want heavier bark try adding more rub late in the cook and don't use foil during the cook, in my experience those two things will have much more effect than mustard on the bark.
Cut the racks in have so you can try ways like Stogie suggested but do at least one porting with out mustard. The rub for this I would use brown or turbinado sugar (a Memphis style rub).
Jim

The mustard rack was superior to the others. I'll be using it from now on.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jason Flynn:
[qb] The mustard rack was superior to the others. I'll be using it from now on. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Jason, what made the mustard ribs superior? I haven't been able to detect any benefit in rubbing in mustard. When I first got my smoker, I used it on butts. I tried one without it and have not used it since. It made no difference in taste, so I stopped.

Maybe I was using the wrong mustard, but it seemed like an useless step in the preparation to me.

Jim in Alabama

I liked them better for a few reasons:
- taste of bark was different
- texture of bark was different (tender-crisp)
- bark was thicker
- more rub adhered to ribs
- aroma was a bit stronger

It also might be true that the mustard slather was a barrier and helps keep moisture and flavor in the meat (and likewise keeps smoke out so might want to increase the wood).

I used basic French's yellow mustard. Next time I'll apply it a bit thicker. For what it's worth my sense of smell is more advanced than most people's so I can discern differences in smell and taste that slip past most people. I know that sounds weird but hey, I can smell really well.

One great thing about BBQ ... so many ways to do it!

I was interested to read a few threads about mustard rub over the past couple of days. I found a very mild dijon (presidents choice, old fashioned dijon) that I like at the grocery store here, and have been using it for all sorts of cooking and sandwiches etc...

Anyone ever use Dijon? What were the results?

Various threads on RCB advise against using dijon or coarse mustard. They say to use cheap yellow mustard instead. But hey, you should experiment and report back to us!

I think that i have read her where Mr. Konrad advocates using the better brands of mustard. I only tried mustard once on 2 Butts. One with and one without. People that I cooked for could not tell which Butt had the mustard, and picked the one without as the one that they liked the best. I used the cheap French's brand. Never used it again. But I know that some people swear by it and have had success using it.

However, reading a past post from Stogie put a wild hair up my donkey. Gonna try apple butter instead of mustard on the ribs next time I get around to doing ribs.

I love pulled pork sandwiches with Dijon (or Creole) mustard, lettuce, and maybe a couple of pickles. I have never used it, or any other mustard, on the butts themselves. However, I think I will try it on my next cook.

Stogie- have you tried this apple butter on ribs? If so, how was it? I make my own from the apple tree in my yard.

Howard, Welcome!!

No, never tried. What got this started was my prep using Dutch Apple yogurt.

I think the apple butter sounds great. Try it and let us know what you think!

I'd seen it mentioned in various places. I'd like to take credit for the genius but mustard's an old trick I finally got around to trying myself.

I didn't take notes (shame on me) and just threw together a generic rub. Probably used powdered garlic, onion, salt, pepper, cayenne, cumin, sugars, paprika, MSG, whatever looked and smelled good at the time. I tend to make a rub up on the spot, take a sniff or lick and mutter "hmm, needs more such-and-such." I tend to concentrate on spices in my rib rub and avoid herbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back