Must-do Mods for a Newbie

Mike J.M.

I just ordered a new 22.5 WSM. I see there are dozens of different mods. Are there any mods I should absolutely do right out of the box before I use it?

not really a mod but start cooking on it. you and the wsm will become one. you will understand this later. then if you are cooking and think that you need to be able to do something then look for that mod that meets that need.

If you plan on using a remote digital thermometer to monitor meat (or grate) temps, you might want to add some middle section eyelets. It's operationally easier to have the probes running through the middle section eyelets than through the top vent when you have to remove the top.

I used the BBQ Guru eyelets (come in pack of 2), but there are other ones. The Guru eyelets are relatively easy to install and don't require drilling. Make sure your probe and wire will fit through the eyelet before installing. I didn't have a problem but I've read where some probes are too large for the guru eyelets.

Welcome to the club. Fortunately Weber has designed a good product. There a thousands cooking right now with no mods what-so-ever.
In time you will see what makes your life with your WSM easier. I really like my handles and extra vents.

Mark

Originally posted by Mike J.M.:
I just ordered a new 22.5 WSM. Are there any mods I should absolutely do right out of the box before I use it?

Nope. Not a single one.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I concur. Don't mod it until you've used it and sure you need to. Although, like Gary, I did immediately put BBQ Guru eyelets on it because I already had the probe thermometer.

Only mod I have done is the Cajun Bandit SS door. I messed around so much trying to get the original door to seal up better that I finally decided to get a new door and be done with it. Tt was worth $22+shipping, and it looks cool... well, to me anyway.
icon_cool.gif

The only mod I've done is wiring the charcoal ring and grate together. It's a lot easier to move both when it's full.

Originally posted by Jim H.:
Only mod I have done is the Cajun Bandit SS door. I messed around so much trying to get the original door to seal up better that I finally decided to get a new door and be done with it. Tt was worth $22+shipping, and it looks cool... well, to me anyway.
icon_cool.gif

Yes, it does look cool, and I might be wrong but I believe I've read or heard of just as many folks that said their OE door sealed as good or better than the Cajun Bandit door.

Just sayin'...no problems at all with my door and I haven't had to reshape it since first breaking in my 18.5" bullet. Actually, it makes me wonder if Weber designed the easily shaped "flimsy" door with more than just low cost in mind.

The Cajun Bandit door does to appear to have the tabs at the bottom of the OEM door that allows it to stay open on the cooker, if that's what I want.

Originally posted by Miguel M:
The only mod I've done is wiring the charcoal ring and grate together. It's a lot easier to move both when it's full.

X2
Well I've done a few others, but would think that doing that right out of the box or fairly new would be a bit easier than waiting a few yrs (like me
icon_rolleyes.gif
) than having to deal with all the crud and gunk that does happen on the grate and ring.

Tim

Tim

I installed the handles to the mid section right out of the box (I liked having them on my previous ECB)and found a piece of large wire to hang the ET 732 sending unit away from the heat:

2ajcolu.jpg

I think wiring the ring and charcoal grate is a must. Takes 10 minutes and I wish I did it 2 years ago. After cook it makes it easy to shake the ash out and save the coals. I've also grabbed the ring mid cook to shake out the ash quickly with the mid section off.

Run it right out of the box! After you use it for a season or so and read stuff on here you can do the mods that suit you! I live in Michigan and it is cold here in the winter (duh right), so my favorite mod is adding handles to the middle section to make it easy to lift the whole middle section off with food and water pan intact to add more coal and shake the bottom section to get rid of ash. I do not think it is as much of an issue in warm climates.

I would run it the way it comes right out of the box. There are no "required" mods, as Weber has supplied a fantastic product.

There are some very handy mods that you will enjoy having. Are they necessary? Of course not. But worthwhile? You bet.

1-Probe eyelets.
2-Charcoal grate/charcoal ring mod.
3-Small charcoal ring/basket for short cooks.
4-Side Handles.
5-Cajun Bandit door.
6-Clay saucer.
7-Temperature controller.

While none of these will have any effect on your end products, they will make the process easier and less time consuming. Just my 2 cents worth.

The only out of the box mods I did for my 18 were worm clamping the charcoal ring to the bottom grate and adding two stainless steel u-bolts to the middle cooking grate for handles.

After only 6 or so cooks, I already want some handles, but I'm still undecided which way I want to go.

I'm holding off drilling any holes into the enamel just yet. I'd probably chip the porcelain real good, given my luck with power tools.

Mike David's handle idea seems like the best route. If I ever bring myself to drilling some probe eyelets, and that goes well, I may throw some fancy weber handles on the sides so they're nice and symmetrical.

I dunno. I'm still kind of on the fence.

4 or 5 years ago, when I bought my 18 1/2", I came here and did the basic mods before I assembled it - 2nd charcoal grate, probe eyelets, handles.
I did the same when I assembled the 22 1/2" a couple of weeks ago + I put it on wheels to make it easier to move (I also saw that here).
I'm not the handiest with power tools either but I measured, remeasured, taped, and drilled pilot holes. I had no trouble drilling through the porcelain.
I never thought of until I just read it but I'm going to wire my chaarcoal grates and holders.
I've always cooked with the water pan but think I'm going to try the foiled clay saucers.

I've had and loved my WSM for over a year now. IMO the WSM really should come with handles, so I rate adding handles as about the only must-do mod. It's also probably the easiest mod to do.

I also quickly became a convert to using a clay saucer instead of water because dealing with the nasty water afterward made clean-up a pain. I don't really consider that a mod, since you're just putting something other than water in the pan.

I've struggled to maintain low temps even with all bottom vents 100% closed, so I'm about to try the nomex gasket mod.

I use temperature probes, but I haven't felt the need to add eyelets. To reduce temperature spikes, if I'm doing anything to the meat during a smoke that takes any time, I quickly take the grate out and put the lid back on. With the probe wires going under the lid, it's pretty fast and easy to remove and replace the probes. It seems like that might be more difficult if the probes were threaded through eyelets. It doesn't look as cool to have the wire probes running under the lid, but it may be more functional for my purposes, so I've resisted the temptation to add eyelets.

The only mod that I would do right out of the box would be to add handles. After that, I'd cook with it awhile to get a feel for any tweaks that you might want to make.

Back