Mushy Salmon

Bob Hunter

TVWBB Pro
This weekend I picked up a 3 lbs Salmon fillet and while I usually grill Salmon with a simple salt and peppering, I decided to give it a try on my WSM. I used the recipe from the Cooking Topics section. I pulled the Salmon at 160°F internal. I found the Salmon to mushy and not as good as when I grill it. Even my kids who will mow through any fish I cook didn't much like it.

Is this softer, not as flakey texture usual for smoking it? Should I have left it on the smoker longer?

Well smoked salmon is my favorite and we have a big tradition of smoking fish here in sweden.

But we smoke it at really low temps 140-180f For a few hours. (go for inner temp)
And use alder wood for smoking.
And smoked fish like this really needs alot of salt or brine it in a salt mixture over night.

How hot was your wsm when smoking?

Bob, just some random thoughts that came to mind when reading your post.

- Was he using a water pan or did he go dry?
- What was the lid temp? 275 - 300° is optimal for me.

I always cook my dinner plate Salmon filets on my Performer, indirect, 350° with some apple chips. Apparently you know this drill.
I Brine, then smoke on the WSM my Salmon filets for appetizers, dry at 275 - 300°.

Not vested, just my thoughts. Good Luck

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:
Well smoked salmon is my favorite and we have a big tradition of smoking fish here in sweden.

But we smoke it at really low temps 140-180f For a few hours. (go for inner temp)
And use alder wood for smoking.
And smoked fish like this really needs alot of salt or brine it in a salt mixture over night.

How hot was your wsm when smoking? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In this case I used the recipe in Cooking Topics, and the WSM ran at 235 at the lid, the entire cook took 1 hour 45 minutes.

[]
I smoke a lot of salmon. The only mushy salmon I have ever encountered was mushy before I smoked it. I should feel firm in the package. More about how it was raised, if farm raised, or how it was handled if wild caught. Brine in Kosher salt, brown sugar and water for no more than 30 minutes then rinse. About one hour in smoker usuing alder chips depending on thickness. This gives a cooked salmon that is not too salty.

Back