mushy pork

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I cooked a 4.5 lb pork butt this weekend and it came out mushy. My cooking temp at the dome was a constant 250*. I cooked it until the polder read 190* and took it out and wrapped it in plastic and foil and put in a cooler for about 2 hours. When I was ready to slice it up I took it out and let it sit for 15 minutes. I could barely slice it without it falling apart and the texture was real mushy. I cooked it on the lower grate with the water pan full the whole time. Total cooking time was 6 hours. Anybody got any idea as to why this turned out so mushy? I bought the meat at the same place I have been buying my other butts and they have turned out much better than this one.

It's called Pulled Pork, it won't slice,
with a fork pull off chuncks of meat and have a good meal.
For sliced cook to an internal of 180?.
Jim

At least you tried! - but Jim is correct, pulled pork is great. Just pull it all apart, chop it up and mix in a finishing sauce then serve on cheap white buns with slaw on the side. It does not get much better than that.

By the way, I use the top rack with no water in the pan and I just let it cool enough on the counter till I can work with it.

Steve

One suggestion--put the slaw on top of the pork in the sandwich--makes for a great meal when the juices of the slaw blend with the pork, sauce, etc

Thanks for the feedback Jim,Steve,and Dale.
I thought that it might have been overcooked some. I was hoping I would be able to slice it. Next time I will pull it off sooner and hopefully I will be able to slice it. Jim I have been using the Minion method and it has been working out great for me. Thanks and happy Qing,
John

Hey John...congratulations, you accidentally did what people try to achieve. I bet that pork was REAL tender. Now what someone needs to do is get you a good North carolina pulled pork sauce recipe to you. Mine are not with me, but I'm sure someone will post one. They are made mainly from apple cider vinegar and red pepper.
Carolona Pulled pork sauce is a lot thinner than the thick stuff that comes out of a bottle that some people pour all over their "toasted" chicken on the grill.
By the way...I bought my WSM because I cant buy good pulled pork in NJ- so I NEED to make it.
PS...You can try a pork loin if you want the slicing type of meat.

Mark-

Hey to a fellow NJ smoker! I'm going to do pulled pork with a loin this weekend -- I'll let you know how it comes out.

John, I think Mark is right, you got the pulled pork temp. Wish me luck with my endeavor this weekend.

Ken

Ken,

I don't think pork loin can be used to make pulled pork. The meat is too lean. It's the breakdown of the fat and connective material in a pork butt that allows it to be pulled. You can certainly cook a nice smoked pork loin that can be sliced.

Others please chime in here if you have experience to the contrary.

Regards,
Chris

Ken
As Chris said a loin is to lean and will be dried out and tough, but not pull.
Loin is much better cook to a lower internal temp and sliced.
To do pulled a pork butt is needed.
Jim

Chris and Jim are correct - loin is too lean. I belong to a sportsmen's club where the cook bakes it in the oven in a pan with lots of beer and then chops it and puts it in a crock pot for sandwiches (beer juice included).

Steve

Chris, Jim, and Steve-

Thanks for the advice. I'll cook it to a lower temp and slice. I tried to get pork butt, but the butcher I use couldn't get it for this weekend, so I got the loin instead. I'll order a butt next time out and go for the pulled pork. I'll let you know how the loin comes out.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back