Mushy Pork

Dean C.

TVWBB Fan
It seems that every time I cook pork butts, the end product has been edible but far less than what I have expected. A lot of the meat has turned out "mushy." I prefer pulled pork, so I usually let them go to the 190 range then rest for 30 minutes. On only one occasion have I gotten the results that I wanted, and I can't seem to duplicate this cook. I have injected with FAB a couple of times but that only made it worse. Any suggestions?

Do you use foil during your cook? If you do, this may be the reason for your "mushy" texture. I take my pork to 195-197 area, let rest for longer. A 3 hour rest is what I shoot for. Some go over 200-205 internal, then let rest.

Dean, I agree with Bob. I run my butts at 215-230 until they are all at least 195 and do not worry if some are up to 205. Sometimes this takes up to 24 hours. I then pull and foil them for at least two hours. I have not had what I would describe as mushy pork, it has all been nicely pullable but then I chop it in accordance with local custom.

I had a mushy pork butt only once. That was the only time I injected a butt. I'm not going to do that again. There's plenty of fat inside the butt and you can always add some rub after you pulled it to get more flavor.

I wouldn't inject butts...there is so much internal fat to keep it moist...add some rub when you pull it for more flavor!

I think my temps are pretty accurate, I take them at grate level. I didn't think it was the FAB either because I use it in Brisket and love it but I was starting to run out of options. I have used both the pre-injected Tyson butts from Wal-Mart and the uninjected ones from Sams and my results are all over the place. I have been mixing the FAB with pineapple juice.

Dean,

Pineapple juice can sometimes behave like a meat tenderizer.
Try using another juice, like maybe apple.

Joe

I have had only 1 come out mushy. I am not sure what caused it but I can tell you my temps were going up nicely and took too long of a nap. Well the meat was at 160 and fell back to 148. It took forever to get it back to 185 so I pulled it.

It was still good and it didn't seem mushy to eat just to pull.

Back