Mulberry wood ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ines Burriola

Closed Account
Hi all! I was talking to a guy who said he used mulberry wood. has anyone ever used this wood? I don't recall ever hearing or reading about using mulberry to smoke.

Chach

Great question...I wandered by a Mulberry bush in my neighborhood a few days ago wonderign the same thing. Maybe we'll have to try it out if no one responds with any direct experience.

Yes! Growing up our dad used to go to great lengths to get a hold of mulberry wood to smoke with. It has a really nice, mellow smoke. When I get a chance I still use it today.

BBQrs Delight makes mulberry smoking pellets. They can be hard to find retail, but a fireplace/grill store here in Broken Arrow has them. You can also order them from Candy Weaver at BBQrs Delight on the web, if you're a little nervous about hacking into the neighbor's mulberry bush. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Great info all, thanks! I may still knowck on the neighbors door and see if I can "trim" his tree for him. It is looking a bit wild and growing across the sidewalk. And the berries are in full force right now too, I bet they're quite tasty too!

Sean, what smoke woods are avalible to you in the land down under. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Just curious, Bryan

Bryan,
I use mulberry quite a lot, very fragrant with a nice sweet smoke flavor. I like it better than cherry.

Well, I know this is going to sound like heresy, but I've just lately been using Spotted Gum. I found a recommendation on the 'Net that it was good for smoking, and as I'm surrounded by it I had to try it. Worked out fantastic the first time I tried, so I marched off into the bush near my home. I got a bunch of Spotted Gum, and the wife got a tick on the inside of her thigh. Oh well. :)

The ham I'm smoking now is being done in Spotted Gum, as was today's lunch of sausages (hey the smoker was going anyway!).

Other than that I mainly use the Weber brand Hickory chunks. That's about all that's commercially offered here in chunk style. I'm considering Mango wood, as my sister-in-law's parents have a mango farm... but I also use other woods as I can get them.

I have trouble getting to the mulberry bush to cut the wood. All around it, there's this monkey chasing a weasel... /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Some people say NO to mulberry because it's an oily wood like pine (and maybe it's even related to the evergreen family even tho it isn't an evergreen), but others say it creates a FANTASTIC color on the ol' meat it smokes, and you don't drop dead from it, so....play ball!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back