Mulberry wood

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Long time lurker, first time poster. I've really learned a lot from the forum ! Thanks to all of the frequent posters for asking & answering most of the questions I have had so far.

So my question is - has anybody smoked with Mulberry ? The smoke wood charts indicate it is similar in character to apple. I have several of these trees and their need for frequent pruning could provide a decent stash of "smoking material" /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Second question - Mulberry trees come in fruit bearing (female) and non-fruit bearing (male) varieties. Would the wood from both have the same characteristics or would the fruit bearing tree provide a preferable wood for smoking ?

Thanks

Gerhard911,

I have used quite a bit of mulberry over the years, and it seems fine. That said, I admit that I do not have the most discerning tastes when it comes to wood varieties. Other than mesquite and black walnut, I can't tell a whole lot of difference between most domestic hardwoods. IMHO, too much emphasis is placed on the types of wood used in charcoal-fired machines. I think the differences in woods are quite subtle, while the differences in rubs, sauces, textures of meat, and degree of doneness can be dramatic. But, that's just me. Enjoy.

George

Thanks for your reply, George. I agree with you about the relative contribution of rubs & cooking technique vs. smoke wood. I just wanted to be sure I wouldn't encounter problems with Mulberry before I tried it. You're experience with it puts my mind at ease ! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Now I'll have to get to trimming some trees... /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back