Mr Brown to mop or not to mop that is the question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
I read in the "Smoke and Spice" cookboiok that the renowned mr Brown recipie comes from that the idea of mopping is mostly to keep the meat moist. It also states that in a water smoker like the WSM that it is unnecessary. Are there any opinions on how mopping or not mopping with southern succor mop affects the taste of the final product of Mr. Brown when cooked in a WSM ?

I'm doing 15 lbs tommorow snow flurries or shine!!!

Hi Tom!

I am a believer in mopping, but only after several hours of cooking. The reason I mop is to actually soften the bark a little. I have tasted far too many butts where the bark is hard as rock. I like it a little softer...makes it easier to pull and easier to work into the inside meat.

I do not think you will get much flavor when mopping a butt, so I use a very simple mixture of fruit juice and oil.

Now, if you are after more flavor, after pulling the meat, sprinkle your rub onto it, plus some more salt...unless your rub is very salty. Many times, salt is the missing ingredient!

I usually spray with a little apple juice every couple of hours-- don't know if it makes a difference, but it doesn't knock off the rub.

Clark

I have questioned the Mopping as well, until I tried it both ways. Mopping the Butt, definately softened the bark, and added a bit of heat to it as well. I think it played a role in keeping the bark from getting to hot and dry also.

There is a technique of mopping that uses what is called mopping at the halves. The idea is to mop the first time at what you believe to be at the half way point, then again at half way to the end, and then again at the half way point.
Mopping will add another flavor layer to the butt so mop with something that will add to the flavor desired.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back