Mr. Brown Rub Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul McBride

TVWBB Member
I've seen this asked, but have yet to see a solid response:

If I'm throwing my Mr. Brown (actually, two!) on at 10:00 tomorrow night, is it ok to go ahead and apply the rub tonight? Or should I wait for morning before I go off to work?

Thanks in advance!

I haven't used that exact rub recipe yet, but I have applied rub 24hrs before a cook and it turned out ok. I read a post here the other day that said the "Mr Brown" rub was a little peppery!

Doug: I'm not sure what your reply is referring to...

The reason I ask is that several people here suggest that applying rub too soon to ribs is problmenatic. Is the same true for butts?

Hello Paul, I did the rub the night before on the 2 butts I smoked on my WSM's maiden voyage. They turned out great. Butts are large chunks of meat. In fact, after pulling them, I could have added more of the rub to help season the parts that didn't get directly exposed to the spices.

In fact, next time I am going to do the rub 2 days in advance to see if the final product is even better.

Paul, when I can plan ahead, I would rub the day before...if I have to rub just before I smoke, I will. That being said in my opinion, it would be best to rub the night before.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Paul McBride:
[qb] Doug: I'm not sure what your reply is referring to...

The reason I ask is that several people here suggest that applying rub too soon to ribs is problmenatic. Is the same true for butts? [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>My 2 cents worth:
As with everything else, opinions on this vary. I apply rub to ribs shortly before cooking. Butts can tolerate much more rub and for longer periods.

Paul,
In my experience I have found that the night even the day before on shoulder works great !
I do a light dusting with the ribs the night( after a rub with vineager) before and a light dusting before the go in. With shoulder I use a lot heavier coat of rub.
As for what I meant you said you hadn't got a solid answer that I said yes solidly! /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Just a little anecedote about Mr. Brown. I prepared 2 butts for a smoke tomorrow. My 7 year old daughter helped with the whole process from mixing the rub to rubbing it on the meat. She loved it and can't wait to see it cooking tomorrow. She's very interested in the whole process. Never to young to start a BBQ habit I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back