Mr. Brown, overnight, Minion Method...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I do Mr. Brown with an overnight cook using the Minion Method, do I need to get up every couple of hours and mop it?

Also, I want to put this on around 9 on Saturday night (Two 7 pounders), so is it okay to leave them in the fridge for 24 hours with the first application of rub? The Mr. Brown recipe calls for "overnight" so I was wondering if the extra time would do any harm? Otherwise I'll just do the first rub Saturday AM.

Thanks in advance.

Tom-

I wouldn't bother getting up every 2hrs to mop. You'll find that some believe fervently in mopping, and some don't. The point is, you get a product that is just as good (or better depending on who you talk to) without mopping as you do with. If you add in the benefit of not being a walking zombie the next day, not mopping during an overnight cook is the way to go.

Now, if you're at a cookoff doing an overnight cook, and there happen to be adult beverages and fellowship to be enjoyed, then mop as long as you're sober. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Rich G.

Tom...

I am an avid mopper, but when it comes to overnight pork butt, I don't bother.

I choose to keep my pit temps a bit lower during the overnight hours. Why? If it gets too high you run the risk of turning your bark into leather. Early on, my overnighters tended to be VERY "barky" and it was much too hard to eat or even mix in with the inside meat.

Now, I will dial the smoker into around 190-200? and let 'er rip. Once I wake up, I will pump the temp up a bit.

The other solution for softening the bark is to foil at the end, but I normally don't foil my butts.

As a newbie I have to ask.....What is Mr. Brown /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

Tom
I have done Mr. Brown with an overnight rub and a rub just an hour or two before I put it on the WSM. Honestly, I can't tell the difference and neither can my guests. That being said, some of the competitive cooks here can likely tell the difference.

But in the end your guests will think it's great either way. It will be the best pulled pork they have ever eaten.

Until your next one.

Peter

I asked the same question about putting on the rub for extended periods of time. The last Mr. Brown butts I did were for the Super Bowl and I cooked them overnight. I put the rub on 23 hours before cooking them and the butts were good, but the meat seemed a little too soft (almost mushy). That could have been for a number of other reasons so I am not sure if that had to do with having the butt rubbed for so long. If you do wind up rubbing them 24 hours early, let me know how they come out.

Tom I was in the same boat this summer when I did my first overnight. Personally, the bark, and more important the "heat" the mop adds IMO can't be beat... I put butt's on at 10:00, had to get up at 2:00 because the temp alarm went off, but didn't make the mop till 6:00 am. Then I mopped again at 8:30 and 10:30. Course little did I know 6:00 am was only the 1/2 way point after all....18 hours for 2 7 lb'rs. I was more concerned that I got 3 mops in for a thick bark. Right or wrong that's what I still do.....seems logical but heck, I could be wrong thinking more mopping = more bark.

Jon
That rub would not has caused he meat to be mushy.
That would be because it got over cooked, pull the meat off the cooker at a lower internal temp. If your waiting until 200? then take it off at 195? and compare the results.
Jim

Jim,

I appreciate the feedback. I pulled the butt off at 192. However, my thermo was acting a bit funky (even though the water test was fine) and I didn't check every part of the butt for temp.

You are probably right that it was overcooked and I will make sure not to make that mistake again.

Thanks,
Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back