Mower Deck Cleaning/Protection [zero-turn, riding mower, tractor]

BFletcher

TVWBB Honor Circle
I'm curious: do any of you apply a protectant to reduce mower deck grass accumulation and/or protect your deck? One that lasts for at least a few months or so? Here are a couple links that may better illustrate my question:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001447PEK/?tag=tvwb-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AXYA0/?tag=tvwb-20

I'm not a squeaky clean freak but there are obvious advantages to maintaining a relatively clean deck including longevity [I assume] and cutting quality. I'm currently lifting the mower and using a plastic putty knife (hey! that's what some of us use on my outdoor cookers) but if I can reduce the accumulation it would be helpful.

Thanks!

I used to be able to pull my deck off and power wash the under side. Now with the Kubota my deck weighs over 400# on it's own. So all I can do is put it all up on the jacks and try to power clean under it :D

the last three winters, we have stored our 3 yr old zero-turn with a local power equipment sales and service company.
they offer different packages, one being it picked up/delivery, heated storage (50°F min) and basic tune-up.
we have chosen the top package where they pick-up/deliver, heated storage for the winter and complete lube/filters/tune-up and cleaning.
they usually pick-up dec1 and deliver apr1. the customer decides on approximate dates.
comes back like new and running like a champ.

having regular maintenance done on it is worth it to me.
and not having a trailer to haul it myself, and to have their pick-up and delivery service included in the cost is perfect.
most other service joints around these parts charge pick-up OR delivery at least 60 bucks one-way.

I have a hose hookup on my push mower.
Turn the water on and run it clean.
Couldn't you hook one up?

I've had success dropping the deck all the way down on a driveway and using the hose hookup as described. Other than that, the scraper.
Another tip is to keep the bottom of the deck coated with whatever is on hand - I use up random cans of Rustoleum. No one will see the color.

Good gawd, ya'll. I grew up with a 10hp Cub Cadet 100 with a belly mount mower. That thing was lucky to get scraped annually, don't think we ever washed it. I know the tractor is still there on the farm, Dad retired it from lawn mowing in favor of a Kubota diesel 18hp estate front mount mower. From the couple of times I mowed the lawn with the Kubota, I could do it in about half of the time of the Cub Cadet, and almost didn't need to get out the push mower for final trimming.

I have a hose hookup on my push mower.
Turn the water on and run it clean.
Couldn't you hook one up?
This is a new Deere Zero-turn that I paid a mint for, so I'm hoping to make it last for the rest of my mowing life. It does have a washout port and I tried it once but it did not remove all of the grass even after a fresh cut where the deck was clean beforehand. I don't know if it's because of the 54" deck or if I need to try it again. I used the method prescribed in the manual, though, aside from letting it run longer than called for.

Back