Mounted tel-tru in the lid and have a ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Welte

TVWBB Member
I mounted a tel-tru in my lid this past weekend where I followed Chris's directions and installed a model with a 2 1/2" stem. However, when I did a cook this weekend the grate was reading about 20 degrees hotter than the dome. The temp at the grate was taken on the outside of the top grate with a polder(about 3" in). The tel-tru is mounted across from the vent and 4" from the handle(same place as the vent). The cooker had sand in the water pan and I was cooking BB's. I have not had a chance to calibrate either therm but I am going to do that tonight with the boiling water. My main guess why the grate was higher is that the polder was in the flow of the heat up the side. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this when they mounted a therm in the dome?

Mark

Mark,

I also have a therm mounted in the dome and I have on occasion had temps measure higher at the grate than at the dome; sometimes caused by the therm being near the side as you stated but other times I have had the therm right in the middle of the cooking grate and it will show higher than the dome temp by about 10-15 degrees, don't know why, can't explain it, test therms afterwards they're right on, doesn't happen that often...just a freak of nature I guess. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Mark,

I've noticed this, too. Most recently when I did the Chuck Roll and the top grate temp was always slightly higher than the lid temp. I attributed it to the location of the probe on the grate, just several inches in from the outside edge of the top grate.

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back