Mothers Day Tri

Brandon A

TVWBB All-Star
Yesterday was our first day home after our 4 day stay in Omaha and also happened to be mothers day. I was foaming at the mouth to grill something after eating junk for days, so on our way home I picked up a nice 3 lb choice tri. I also grabbed some ****aki and baby bella mushrooms and a sweet yellow onion.

I let the Tri set out for almost 2 hours and then seasoned with DP Raising the steaks, and a little red eye express.

The bellas and ****akis went into foil with a healthy dose of Tasty Licks Treehugger that I had a free sample of (I like), olive oil, a little butter, some white pepper, and for the hell of it some bacon bits (yum).

I wanted to do the onion and shrooms seperate, so I cored the onion and stuffed it with butter, mixed with a ground beef bullion cube. I got a little deep when coring and ended up with a hole in the bottom so I made a little foil dish to keep it somewhat contained.

My wife likes her beef more med then rare, so I waited to sear until 125. I should have measured temp in a thinner part of the tri as when it was 125 in the thickest part, the ends were around 150 *shrug* It was still a great piece of meat, and when I mentioned to her that I overcooked it a bit, she said it was perfect. The mushrooms came out great, I will be adding bacon bits (the fresh kind, not the dry) to my veggies again, I loved it. The onion could have gone another 20 min because it was still a bit crunchy on the inner layers. Overall, it was a great meal and welcome change from eating out.

Its been awhile since I posted an overly huge money shot so here it goes...
IMG_3480.jpg

and heres the rest. mothers day tri slideshow.

Edit: Now that I think about it, this should have gone in the grilling section. I cooked it all on the performer at between 400-450 with 2 chunks of red oak and RO lump.

That stuff looks amazing. We don't find tri-tips too easily up here, and have to special order it. I'm going to try it this summer, for sure.

Gave me a good idea on the onions. I just got a bag of vidalias that I'll be grilling tonight alongside some chicken quarters and fresh asparagus.

Looks awesome, Brandon. I've yet to do a Tri yet, but your guys are working it pretty good on me.

Maybe I'll put that on the menu this weekend.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Its been awhile since I posted an overly huge money shot so here it goes... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

great shot. when its that pretty, I don't mind it filling up my screen.

Back