More brisket questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Munson

TVWBB Super Fan
For a 5 p.m. dinner and the average 11 pound brisket at 1.5 hrs per pound this means I start at midnight (including the resting period)? I.E. Plan for a 15 to 16 hour cook?

I found a 13.4 pound brisket, trimmed it down to exactly 11 pounds and currently have it resting in the fridge after rubbing this morning. I could not find a lot of discussion or directions on the pros and cons for how much fat to remove between the flat and the point so I was fairly aggressive. What is the consequence for removing most of the fat between the point and flat?

Next, for cooking I want to confirm that limiting the number of hot coals over a full pan of unlit coals is the best way for a long cook.

Finally, best temperature for the finished product cooked solely on the WSM.

Art, we are thinking the same thing.

I would have left a lot of the fat cause you can always trim when your done, but your ok. Your timeline is fine, I would start the cook at say 10pm knowing that you can easly hold the brisket for a few hours wrap in a dry cooler.
Go to the fire up section of the main site and use second method for a long overnight cook.
A full load of unlit charcoal with a half a chimney of lit charcoal poured over the top should do the job. Control the temp as it rises, don't let it run away from you and you should be good to go.
You may want to flip the brisket in the morning when you get up, flip to fat side down, this will help keep the bottom from over cooking.
Once the internal temp reaches 185? start checking for tenderness, a probe should move easly in and out of the flat when tender, very little resistance.
Good luck.
Jim

Either fold it under itself or tuck it between the two grate handles. After a few hours of cooking, it will shrink and fit just fine.

Regards,
Chris

Hi David, I think I read on here that you can fold the flat under itself and that after it has cooked a while (overnight) it will shrink considerably and then you can unfold it.
HTH
Dave

It was actually over 4" too big. I tried to fold the flat under or over at first but it was not flexible enough. What I ended up doing was cutting the through the point about 75% at 4 or 5 inches and folding that to the side. The whole mess now takes up the whole top grill. The point is very flexible. In the morning I will try to ?unfold? it back together depending on how it is doing. Because of the size I was concerned about folding it under ? it would make a huge mass of meat and (in my mind) give uneven cooking.

That ?exquisite" grade paprika from the spice house sure makes for pretty meat.

Why does it seem that I have more than my share of weird problems?

Gawd! That is good. Very tender and moist. Tastes like a brisket should.

I ended up pulling at 11 hrs (1 hour per pound) when the temperature of the flat hit slightly above 190. When I got up at 5-1/2 I turned end over and flipped. The brisket still did not fit the grates after shrinking.

Dave,

That's not a weird problem man. I bought my brisket this morning because I couldn't get there before it closed. The puppy's frozen, but I figured I'd try to get it ready for tomorrow anyway.

Anyway, I got curious and took it down to the kettle and discovered, "SH!T. It's too damn big." I then gave up, put it back in the freezer and figured I'd figure it out later and decided instead to make chicken. Dammit. If only I'd come here to see how you'd solved the same problem I wouldn't be eating chicken tomorrow /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back