Monsoon Slow Cooker vs Instant Pot

Rich Dahl

R.I.P. 7/21/2024
Really been wanting to cook up some St, Louis spares I had in the freezer for a while. Got them defrosted and the rub on overnight and the forecast looked good for Thursday.
Problem was they missed on the forecast, again.
I was going to put the camp chef on the covered patio which is about ten feet deep, but it was so windy the rain was being blown all the way into the house from the patio so it was a no go for the CC.
So we decided to do a cook off between the indoor Weber slow cooker and the instant pot.
Pulled up a couple of like recipes and went at it.
Slow cooker took four hours on high and the IP took 35 minutes start to finish.
Both were edible but nowhere near anything a grill could do.
We both agreed that the IP was the winner. Would I do them again…..NO!
The good thing was Barb made a new macaroni salad that was very good, so all was not lost.
The SC and IP have their place in a lot of cooks but ribs aren’t one of them.

101_6926 (1).JPG

101_6928 (1).JPG

101_6934 (1).JPG

101_6938 (1).JPG

101_6943 (1).JPG

101_6949.JPG

Really been wanting to cook up some St, Louis spares I had in the freezer for a while. Got them defrosted and the rub on overnight and the forecast looked good for Thursday.
Problem was they missed on the forecast, again.
I was going to put the camp chef on the covered patio which is about ten feet deep, but it was so windy the rain was being blown all the way into the house from the patio so it was a no go for the CC.
So we decided to do a cook off between the indoor Weber slow cooker and the instant pot.
Pulled up a couple of like recipes and went at it.
Slow cooker took four hours on high and the IP took 35 minutes start to finish.
Both were edible but nowhere near anything a grill could do.
We both agreed that the IP was the winner. Would I do them again…..NO!
The good thing was Barb made a new macaroni salad that was very good, so all was not lost.
The SC and IP have their place in a lot of cooks but ribs aren’t one of them.

View attachment 34745

View attachment 34746

View attachment 34747

View attachment 34748

View attachment 34749

View attachment 34750
I'm with you Rich. One of the first things I cooked in the Instant Pot was a slab of St. Louis ribs. I hate ribs that have been boiled before going onto the grill, but these were even worse. I'd sooner eat ribs at Famous Dave's. IMO, some of the worst Q I've ever eaten.

Bummer about the weather, hope you get some grillin' weather back. Barb's salad looks awesome

Back