Moldy wood

J Fletcher

I got some apple logs a little while back,
and when I got them home, I put them in a cardboard box and promptly forgot about them.

Now they have a light coating of a greenish/dust mold. It is on the cut ends, so I can tell it has developed since I have stored it.

Now I have learned my lesson on storing my smoking wood,
but the question is whether this wood is salvageable.

I can whittle off the bark and trim the ends to get to clean wood, or should I just scrap this batch?

Thanks-

I would saw off a section, or split the pieces with an axe and see if the mold continues throughout the wood, or is just on the outer layer.

I guess it would depend on how much work it is to get the mold off as to whether you should scrap the wood for cooking purposes.

Thanks Cris-
I've started cleaning up a few logs,
and it looks like it's just the outer layer-
so it should be safe after I clean it up- right?

And we aren't talking about a lot of wood, maybe 1.5 cu ft- just enough to remind me to take better care of the wood next time.

I'd just burn it off. Toss it on the coals a few minutes before you put your meat on, won't be anything harmful left after a couple minutes of heat.

Todd

I use laundry baskets to store my smoke wood. I keep it in my garage on a shelf and the holes seem to keep it dry and also easy to see.

I bought this from Ikea: IKEA PS FÅNGST Hanging storage/ 6 compartments.

Ikea_storage.jpg

Easy to keep different woods apart and good air circulation.

It's also surprisingly strong, I have it almost full of dry wood and only the top ring is twisted (making the topmost compartment bit smaller).

Great thread! I just bought 120 lbs of different smoke woods (apple, cherry, hickory, and white oak), and was planning on sealing them up somewhat for storage... now I'm rethinking that plan... maybe some kind of breathable stacking system that will enable air flow.

Ya, don't seal it up whatsoever. Smoke wood is wood, nothing special, keep it dry and covered, and that's about as much love as it needs. Check for insects once in a while, and even those will 'burn off'. I keep mine in cardboard boxes on shelves in the garage. Some of it been there for 2 or more years. No problems.
Todd

Back