Mojo Criollo

D Badger

I was going to do my chicken with the Mojo recipe in Low and Slow book, It rained, so marinated chicken and baked in oven. No flavor whatsoever. Did the oil keep the flavor out, or did I do something else wrong besides the oven? I followed the recepie exactly.

I have never baked it in the oven but when ever I use mojo, usually chicken or pork, I am constantly basting. I only do it that way because that is what the i used recipe said to do. Come to think of it the recipe had no oil in it, it was just blood orange juice, garlic, fresh oregano, salt, and pepper. No marinating at all just basting. From what I remember the flavor came though.

Blood orange is sweet. Mojo is typically made with sour juice from Sevilles or calamondins (my recipe here) or, if sweet juice is used, it is cut well with lemon, lime and/or grapefruit. Oil is often included in the mix when marinating lean meats; not so much for fattier meats but many cooks ignore this and use oil in it regardless. Oil carries flavor well if the flavors are fat soluble.

Mojo is typically used as a marinade first. The meat, if grilled or roasted is usually basted with it during cooking. Mojo is also used as a braising liquid.

I use a commercial Mojo and love it on chicken and pork. It doesn't have an overwhelming flavor to either, but it keeps things moist without the sugar from most commercial marinades.

Used the commercial "Goya" brand - available in hispanic foods area of some grocery stores.
(But naturally, in Milwaukee - they only carry it on the South side of town
icon_mad.gif
) Used it as a marinade on chicken. Made my own once, but the recipe needed a little work (gotta try Kevin Krueger's version).

Also, on vacation in the Florida panhandle, we used some commercial brand (don't remember the brand - conical top of bottle, face / sombrero on label). Marinated and grilled some fresh-caught Cobia in it - that was OUTSTANDING!

Try it again - it's good stuff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Don't know the recipe. What's the recipe/procedure? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's the procedure from his old website, presumably similar to what's in the book:
http://web.archive.org/web/200...ott.com/dinner1.html

Basically, marinate in Goya Mojo with a little extra olive oil and lemon juice added, for 8 hrs. Cook with water in the pan but vents wide open until juices run clear.

I'm not fond of this recipe, nor the Goya product, for the reason that the OP listed - weak flavor from the mojo. You can do better with a homemade marinade (Kevin's recipe is a good place to start) and a more traditional cooking procedure.

I prefer home made too. When I do use Goya I augment it a bit by taking a whole lemon and lime or two zest them, zest, juice and all that's left goes into the marinade. Also some minced garlic. Improves it immensely IMHO. I typically haven't added oil when using it as a marinade. I typically use it for chicken.

Back