Moist Pulled Pork

Bob Porter

TVWBB Member
I smoked my first butt the other day. All went well and we very much enjoyed it.

While talking to my wife she expressed that it wasn't like what she gets at the fair. And no, it wasn't. But it is important to keep her happy so I am trying to figure out how to make it like she likes.

When we go to a fair/carnival/etc. the pork is often served wet. I imagine it has far more BBQ sauce on it than I served.

I am not certain if I have explained this correctly, but what do folks do to get it like that?

I am just trying to keep my bride on the good side of this hobby.
icon_smile.gif

Bob, One way you can add some moisture without drowning the pork in sauce is to use a finishing sauce when pulling the pork. When I pull the pork, I add some rub in along with my finishing sauce. It's a 1-1-1 ratio of Butter, BBQ sauce, and Chicken stock. I use 1/4 cup of each, and that's more than enough for one butt. The extra I save for reheating, if I need some extra moisture.

Have you tried injecting the butt before you smoke it?

I like to use apple juice, pineapple juice, a little OJ.

I soak my butt in apple juice the night before. This makes the butt very most and tender. Just get yourself a 3 gallon water jug, and soak your butt in there.

Thank you for the responses. I continue to read and learn.

I suspect a finishing sauce is more along the lines of what my wife wants. I have not injected yet. All things to try in the future.

Thanks!

let your butt rest in foil for a couple hours prior to pulling it. When you open the foil, carefully transfer the juice to a bowl and put in the fridge. the fat on the top will peel off once it solidifies.

I find this juice to be a great sauce (smokey and flavored with rub). It's also very jello-like which give the pp a nice moistness. You wont need to wet it down with as much sauce either.

I wonder if it's possible to use the drippings from the water pan? Never thought of it, and it's probably pretty disgusting. But there's got to be good flavor in there.

Here is what I do. After I shred the butts I put them in a 6qt. Crockpot. I then add 1 cup of BBQ sauce, 1 cup ketchup and 1/4 cup vinegar. I then heat it up to 195°. Works great for me.

Background: I inject my butts (it's not as erotic as it sounds), foil a minimum of an hour but closer to four hours and pour all juices in the foil into the bowl I'm pulling in. I'm on my third bottle of wine (after a 12 pack of MGD Light). I've never had "Fair" pulled pork but if it's anything like the deep fried twinkees or churros I can only imagine it's to die for; I honestly think they lace these foods with some kind of drug that makes you crave them and forget that you're eating deep fried foods. I'm being Sirius, I love those damn churros and all the deep fried crap you can buy at the Fair, however I don't fall game to to the carnival games.

Back to the topic; as Bryan wrote, throw a little finishing sauce in there and you'll be golden. Bryan's got a great one with of course butter in it, Kevin K has a great one too. They're both easily found if you search for "finishing sauce." I promise you'll blow the Fair fare out of the water . . . unless it's deep fried, then you're screwed.

Back