Modification to grill lid anyone?

No real mod. Just tape both sides of the lid, drill a hole, remove the tape, and install the thermometer. I've done that on all my Webers, including my older WSM.

What type of thermometer is most accurate? Make and model? I've used some in the past that hadn't been as precise so I'd like to have some input on various types or preferred types. Thanks again for the tips!

No need to drill holes...
find a therm you like and use one of the four vent holes, works perfectly!
DSCN2793.jpg
DSCN1511.jpg

This Tel-Tru is a nice one, found it on eBay for only 12 bucks... goes for 30-40 bucks.

Being a rookie BBQ'r...what's the difference between BBQ'ing and Grilling? Whats the usual to bbq vs grilling? Sorry if I've just made a fool out of myself.
icon_wink.gif

Joel, barbecuein' is a low temp - slow cookin' process.
Grillin' is a high temp - searin' steaks, an' getter' done fast.

Save a wine cork and stick your thermometer through it, and then you can "mount" it right in a vent hole.

I drill a hole in my lid beside the vent, and mount the thermo that way. I use the charbroil thermos they sell at Lowes.

I like it mounted this way because its always there and I don't have to search for it, and because I can still adjust my top vent, if I want to smoke.

J

if you decide to drill, & your lid has a hook (OTG or OTS, not performer), take into account the action of the mount. Whenever I go to hang my lid on the small hook (using the OTG) it hangs up a little on the probe while setting it into position.

I 've mounted a teltru BQ100 (I think this is the model) in the lid of both my OTG (it's used on my OTP) & 18" WSM. It goes to 700F.

I'm not concerned so much with it's accuracy, but rather it's consistancy. I haven't used my ET73 since these have been put in.

I dislike mounted temp gauges very much, myself. I much prefer a silicone-corked therm that can be stuck in a vent hole. Easy to pop out to keep it out of the weather, much easier to keep clean. I find the accuracy of mounted therms suspect, especially over some time.

A turkey fryer therm similar to this is what I like to use. Clips right into one of the vent holes, and the depth can be adjusted if needed.

Tim

I'll second what Jim Lampe says -

I even think that I have the same tell-tru thermometer. I've been too lazy to drill the lid on my WSM, and find that it works just fine if I stick it through the vent hole.

I just use it for "ballparkin'" my temps - (reduces the need to lift the lid) plus, with a nice, big display - I can see from a distance if I'm near/in the zone where I wanna' be.

Easy mod. Put one in my 18.5 WSM. Tape, drill, install. Piece of cake. Just used the Weber thermometer

Back