Mod-tastic!

Phil Perrin

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Had the day off,so I decided to do some mods to old smokey! Wheels,door prop,and clay saucer. I had the wheels leftover from a rolling seat the missus had. She didn't tighten them properly when she put them on,so two went bad. I kept the other three just for this! The door prop was like the one on another thread. And the saucer,while a little big,will get it's initial tryout tomorrow with some BB's. I'm stoked!

Nice job Phil! Fun to tinker on em ain't it!

Hey can you shoot a pic of the complete door? Trying to figure out if it drops down a little when resting on the screws.

Phil, wrap your new terra cotta saucer with foil all around (if you haven't already) to make your after-cook clean-up easier.
Photos of your ribs-cook tomorrow, we all will be lookin' forward to!
The door prop is one genius idea, yet the easiest to do.
Oh yeah, how's the grillin' surround comin' along?

Jim,I sealed the countertop today and got about a third of the stone for the side laid out. On TV they make it look SOO easy,but it's really a big jigsaw puzzle! I should have most of the stone on tomorrow. I'll post a pic along with the ribs! I'm gonna foil the saucer,just haven't got around to it yet.
Glenn,yes it does sit down just a couple of hairs. But that allows more air in,to bring the heat up!
And the wheels are perfect! It spins around in it's little niche so I can access all the bottom vents.

Phil,

I checked out your pics and the surround looks fabulous. How did you make the top? I understand the side forms and concrete, but am confused about the plywood on the bottom. Did you raise up the top and remove the plywood after the top was cured?

No,Jon,I left the plywood there. When I get a chance,I'm going to spray paint the underside to protect it from the elements.

Bad mixing! No,really! I made the cement mix too dry,and it didn't get all the way down in the form. So I took a little bit of quick drying cement that I had,sifted out all the large rocks,mixed some more color,and troweled it on. Totally an accident,but looks pretty cool!

Great recovery, looks fantastic
icon_cool.gif

Phil, I am looking at your pics of your surround and love it. Far better Idea than I was planning. How long is it as I am trying to figure out how I can fit one in my yard. I was actually going to build in a gas grill, but I like your idea better. Much easier to upgrade at less cost!

Sheldon,mine is 12' long,by 3' deep,and right about 30-32" high. Luckily,4 courses of cinder block and the countertop equalled the approximate height of the side tables on the Genesis. Got real lucky on that one! Of course,the countertop is just a little lager than that. 12 X 3 is the slab dimensions.
I also figured out the cost. It was just under $500. And a LOT of sweat! But the framing for the slab and counter didn't cost anything. I got them from work! They nail 2X4's and 1 X 4's to the floor of the trucks to keep the pallets of batteries from sliding. There were a bunch left over,and the boss was more than glad for me to take!

I showed the pictures to my wife and she liked it too. Guess what I get to build next year...

12' gives me an idea of what to look for. I have an older Genesis with no cabinet and have thought about pulling it off the stand and bricking it in. What you did for the counter top is way cool and changed my plans for the better. I want to include a place to store charcoal as I do not want it smelling like gas from the lawnmower...

Sheldon,on the end closest to the house,I have a couple of utility tubs,one for smoke wood,the other just big enough for a couple bags of charcoal. Any overflow on the charcoal,I store in the garage. Unfortunately,I don't have much room for storage,so a couple extra bags of charcoal is a luxury!

Phil, are you talking about the plastic drawer units or is there something not seen in the pictures?

I am looking at a Rubermade yard storage unit for storing charcoal and stuff. We have a small slab outside the back door now and it is crowded with 4 different Q's now. So the new plan is to enlarge the slab and build a surround, most likely an L shaped one.

But that has to wait for next year as I am working on our RV for a 2 week road trip in August. Those stupid RV fridges are expensive!!!

Sheldon,no. The drawer units are just extra outside storage that I had from my ECB,and kept them for use with the Genesis. The missus can't stand them,but since I painted them black,she's happier with them.
No,I just have a couple plastic storage bins sitting on some pavers between the surround and the house. Here is a shot of one of them,hiding under the recycling bin. I've since added a second tub for charcoal.

Back