Mobile app question about the pit pal

JimmyR

Hi - I was browsing around the internet looking for some help and found this great forum and have been searching through it trying to find my answer to no avail. Sorry in advance if this is a repeat :)

I have both the BBQ Guru WiFi (use on an egg) and the Stoker NON-wifi version (use on the wsm). My question is around the pit pal android app http://www.thepitpal.com. Works absolutely perfect with the bbq cyberq guru wifi, but not with my stoker right now. I emailed the developer who said it should but he only has the stoker wifi version to test with. Anyone here have the pit pal app working with the non wifi version of the stoker?? If yes, any advice would be much appreciated. The developer has been extremly helpful, but not sure what I am doing wrong :confused: Thanks

Jim

Hi Jim and welcome aboard.

I have the Pit Pal pro on my Galaxy SIII, but I have a CyberQ WiFi, which works great with it. Sorry I can't help you, but I did want to welcome you to the forum.

Good luck.

Bob

Just tried Pit Pal with my non-WIFI stoker. Same results as you, unable to get any of the stoker data to display. It does bring up the Stoker console with all data displayed when that button is pushed, but the program doesn't read the data. There must be some difference in data format between WIFI and non-WIFI Stokers. I don't have latest Stoker firmware installed so maybe that would make a difference. Dan

Just tried Pit Pal with my non-WIFI stoker. Same results as you, unable to get any of the stoker data to display. It does bring up the Stoker console with all data displayed when that button is pushed, but the program doesn't read the data. There must be some difference in data format between WIFI and non-WIFI Stokers. I don't have latest Stoker firmware installed so maybe that would make a difference. Dan

i actually just talked to the guys at rocks bbq and they said must be firmware related as they have tried the pit pal app with non wifi stoker and works perfect. I am probably going to check my firmware version sometime and see what the deal is. Thanks for the response and i think youre on the right track. jim

Hi Jim and welcome aboard.

I have the Pit Pal pro on my Galaxy SIII, but I have a CyberQ WiFi, which works great with it. Sorry I can't help you, but I did want to welcome you to the forum.

Good luck.

Bob

Yes I use the app on my guru wifi and am hooked.... It is awesome.. hence why i really want it working on my stoker as well :) Only thing i wish was if it had a way to include the temp history when you export the cook. but for a 2 bucks, i cant really complain. thanks for the welcome.

i actually just talked to the guys at rocks bbq and they said must be firmware related as they have tried the pit pal app with non wifi stoker and works perfect. I am probably going to check my firmware version sometime and see what the deal is. Thanks for the response and i think youre on the right track. jim

Did they mention which firmware version they used that did work? I have an old Stoker without WiFi and I use a wireless router out by the smoker. I'd love to be able to use the app on my phone or tablet when I don't have access to a laptop to just use StokerLog.

Did they mention which firmware version they used that did work? I have an old Stoker without WiFi and I use a wireless router out by the smoker. I'd love to be able to use the app on my phone or tablet when I don't have access to a laptop to just use StokerLog.
Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this post today. I have one of the original Stokers (one of the first 10 ever built, so they tell me). It was recently upgraded to the latest firmware and I connected it to a wireless access point, and ran a test. Pit Pal worked fine on my Kindle Fire (rooted and running Android 4.3). The Stoker displays version 2.7.0.332 when I check System Info, if that helps. The Rocks Bar-B-Que site lists that as the latest firmware update for wi-fi stokers, but it's what they installed on my old one (after I accidentally bricked it trying to do the upgrade myself) and it's working great.

Last edited:
Thanks Larry! I've updated the firmware once before (a couple of years ago). So I'm not exactly sure which version I'm running now. But good to know that even the WiFi version will work fine on the non-WiFi units. Looks like it's probably time to update it one more time (if I can remember how I did it last time).

I know Amir had mentioned some time ago that he might try to create a version of StokerLog for Android. I haven't seen anything about it lately and I sent him a PM earlier today.

A couple of months ago I was doing a cook at the lake and I had my router connected to the Stoker. I was trying to use my LG Android based phone to connect to the router and run PitPalPro. But for some reason, it kept making my phone reboot. After about the 10th time the phone rebooted, I unplugged the router and my phone stopped rebooting. So I'll probably try the tablet next time.

I was able to update the firmware on my old non-WiFi stoker with the WiFi firmware. I was able to connect a router to the Stoker and connect to it on my Xoom tablet (Android platform) but if I try with my LG phone (also Android platform), it would still keep turning off the phone and starting it back up. But at least I was able to get the tablet to connect up and use the PitPalPro application (although I still like StokerLog better and just hope Amir is able to create an Android version of that app at some point).

Larry, since we don't use WiFi versions of the Stoker, are you enabling WiFi in the setup on the Stoker or leaving that turned off? I would imagine it would work either way. I tested yesterday with it enabled, even though my Stoker doesn't have built-in WiFi. I guess I need to test it with it disabled and see if makes any difference.

I left wi-fi turned off. BTW, the reason I bricked my Stoker when trying to update the firmware was that my virus software interrupted the process. So if anyone is planning to update the firmware on their Stoker, I'd suggest temporarily disabling virus and firewall software during the process.

Back