Mixing pellets

Gregory

TVWBB Member
I'm starting a pork butt over brisket smoke tonight and I was trying to decide on what wood to use. I've got hickory, mesquite, pecan, apple, cherry, oak, orange, and JD pellets. I've also got a bag of hickory and mesquite chunks. I used pecan pellets on my last PB/brisket cook and it was pretty good.

Do any of you that use pellets mix them? What would be a good mix of pellets for PB and brisket? If you do mix them do you use half the normal amount of each? Seperate foil pouches? Thanks for your suggestions.

Yeah, you can mix pellets. I do it everytime I use them. Usually sugar maple and apple. The pecan and apple sound like a nice combo tho. I love the smell of pecan. I often use larger packets (about double the thickness) and I replenish them more often than suggested. The recommended amount never seems to be enough. IMO

Rick

Hi Gregory,

I have used multiple pellet packs on several cooks, and have used them with chunks as well. I have used separate pouches, but don't know why you could not mix. For some reason, I don't think I would, but that's just me.

I have used Oak and Cherry on both brisket and butt and have found it to be very good. Go heavy on the cherry, as it takes a good bit of fruit woods to get the flavor you're looking for. Or at least that has been my experience.

Good Luck!!

Back