Missing Lid Damper in a New 22.5" WSM

Chad M. Anders

TVWBB Member
I wanted post this question just out of curiousity more than anything. I just finished putting together my new 22.5" WSM this morning and found the lid had no damper assembly installed. I didn't remember installing one in my 18.5" WSM but it had been a while and I thougt perhaps I had. I went back through all the packing material trying to find the damper with no luck. I finally decided I'd call Weber customer service and see if they could give me a hint. I thought maybe it might be tucked somewhere I was overlooking possibly and if nothing else I needed to call them to get one headed my way anyway.

The nice lady I spoke with said it should be installed in the lid to which I responded I thought so too. She even put me on hold and checked with a couple other employees she said to confirm it was supposed to be installed at the factory. They all agreed yes it was which I believe to be correct.

So, my question here is, are the lid dampers usually installed and shipped in the lid still? If so, has anyone ever received a lid with no damper on a new smoker?

They were quite amused by my call and it was a great experience....my first ever dealing with Weber's customer service. They asked me to email them a pic they were so baffled. FYI, it was not as a requirement before the replacement damper was shipped or anything. She took my addy and said one would go out this afternoon, no problems there. Just asked if I would mind to email her a pic of the lid.

Yeah, I just replaced my old 18.5, and all of the dampers were already installed right out of the box.

Thanks guys, I figured they still were installed. Guess no one else has got one without them. Oh well, if there was one to get out without one I'd be the guy to buy it.
icon_biggrin.gif

I meant to include in the original post that I did get a very tight fitting symetrical 22.5" though. The center section is a very snug fit on the bottom. Seems very air tight all around. Haven't fired it up yet to verify though.

Back