Mionion Succes, but very Texas

So, last night I did my very first overnight Q, and smoked 4 racks of ribs in my WSM. I put everything together about 8 pm, and when I went to bed about midnight temp was about 240. With my wife and graddaughter away, I got to sleep in till 10.
So, the ribs went for 14 hours. The colour is grand - very dark and brown, good ring. Fabulous flavour, but very "Texas" style - dry. Is this a function of the Minion method? The length of Q'ing? Is there any way around this? My wife likes them wet and falling away, is why I ask.
Thanks,
Canada Mike

Too low and/or slow gets you dried out meat. I can't recall ever hearing of doing ribs overnight before-- they usually take no more than 6-7 hours, and that's without foiling. At the cooking temp you quote, they were probably done in 6 hours, the rest of the time they were just getting browner and drier. I'm actually surprised they were edible at all.

I've spoken with Q'ers who have cooked for that long, but I suspect my heat needed to be close to 200 than 240.

In any case, it showed me that I can use the method for a pork butt or brisket, and that's worth a lot to me.

Mike

Ouch!

Baby backs usually take me 4-5 hours, spares around 5-6 depending on the cook. I try and cook @225 grate and ramp up temps to 275-280 the last 20-30 minutes after removing the ribs from foiling.

Keep trying, you'll love the butt cooks. Plan on 2 hours per pound.

One other thing the newbie learned is that even when you blow it, you're still usually eating pretty good.

I'm suprised you could even eat them after 14 hours, but you said the flavor was good. And as you indicated, now you're all set for a true overnight cook - Pork Butt ummmmmm.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Gilbert:...
My wife likes them wet and falling away, is why I ask. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mike

Foiling will definitely get them the way your wife likes them - very important !
icon_smile.gif

Take a look at the homepage for this site and then click on "cooking". Chris, the founder of the site, has great info'n that helps everyone. Just reading the posts on the board gives a "glimpse" at specific issues and you will get a much better foundation from the other material. You can then follow up with specific questions on the board or just browse to see what others are saying.

Best wishes to you in your future cooks.

Paul

All kind words appreciated, and I will certainly research foiling. My wife likes to use a method where the ribs are cooked in foil packages containg BBQ sauce, then quickly grillled. I find it too wet, but alk about falling off the bone!

Had the ribs last night, and beneath the crust the meat was still good. On a hunch, I warmed some seconds in the microwave (yeah, I know,) and that softened them a bit.

Best,
Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Gilbert:
Well, looks like this newbie really blew it. Live and learn!
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but you get to eat the 'mistakes' as long as you haven't charred them.
icon_cool.gif

I looked at those pages - I've used this site a lot, and what little I know comes from it. Can't find anything about "foiling".

Thanks,
Mike

Foiling will definitely get them the way your wife likes them - very important !
icon_smile.gif

Take a look at the homepage for this site and then click on "cooking". Chris, the founder of the site, has great info'n that helps everyone. Just reading the posts on the board gives a "glimpse" at specific issues and you will get a much better foundation from the other material. You can then follow up with specific questions on the board or just browse to see what others are saying.

Best wishes to you in your future cooks.

Paul[/QUOTE]

Mike

Do a search under this section, "Barbequing". Click on "Find" and type in "rib foiling". You should get 209 items and more information than you probably wanted on foiling.

It is really a simple technique and the key is to determine how long to leave the ribs in the foil. I do spares, usually, and go 45 min. at the 4 hour mark and then finish without the foil. This makes them tender but not usually falling off the bone. The reference threads give lots of info on doing this with loin back ribs.

I suggested the main page just as background, but sounds like you're already using it.

Paul

Michael
You cooked through falling off the bone to your final results, foil does make getting the results your wife wants easier a long with shorter cooking times.
Jim

You cooked ribs for 14 hours and wonder why they are dry? Gee, that's a puzzler
icon_confused.gif
hehehe

I use the 3-2-1 method. 3 hours naked, 2 hours foiled, 1 hour naked again. Add a little moisture (like beer or apple juice) when you foil them.

Back