Minion method vs. outside temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark C

TVWBB Member
From what I have been seeing here, folks are maintaining ideal temps even when the outside temps are well below freezing. I did my first cook with my WSM last week and maintained 135 - 150* for 16 hours with outside temps in the 50's.

My question is, when the outside temps are hovering around 100* or more like they do in TX in the summer, do you need to make any adjustments for 12 - 16 hour cooks?

Mark, Good Question. Here are my thoughts.

Since the cooking temp (225-300) is higher than the outside temperature, then no, there should not be a difference. It might be that you go from 0 to 100 quicker, but above the outside temperature, the WSM should have a mind (and temp) of its on.

Trust me, there is a heat and conductivity engineer somewhere on this board, and I am sure they have a better answer, but those are my thoughts.

Good luck!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark C:
[qb] I did my first cook with my WSM last week and maintained 135 - 150* for 16 hours with outside temps in the 50's.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Please tell me you meant 235-250*.

We'll assume that Mark meant 235-250*. Minion Method aside, there is more a consideration, when smoking on hot summer days, of the effects of radiant heat from the sun-- not so much on cooker temps, but how you compensate for the extra heat solar radiation can add to the cooker. I know from experience that, on overcast days or in the shade, I will have to open my vents wider, given the same amount of meat and charcoal to achieve the desired cooker temp. On a long cook that starts in the heat of the day, in an unshaded location, consideration will have to be given that, when solar gain is no longer a factor-- after dusk-- that the fire will have to be adjusted accordingly. Since most long cooks are "over-nighters", this usually doesn't come into play.

OK, I meant 235 - 250!

My bad!

Great discussion. True that Minion mainly means overnight cooks. The temp will be in the lower 90's by then.

Doug, from what you are saying, I gather that it is a vent thing. Should still fill the ring, but light less coals and depend on vent management.

Yes, as regards MM, hot temps and solar gain requires less lit coals to start, cold temps requires more lit coals to start. Of course consider, too, in any case, the meat load will dictate how much lit charcoal you start with. Example: if you load up the cooker with 4 x 8 lb. butts, light more initial coals than if you were doing only one or two. This is something you'll have to learn by doing.

Mark,

I had a few cooks here in sept and oct that were in the 80's as far as outside temp and I didn't change a thing. The minion method seems to work at any temp.

Bob, that sounds promising as well. I know your summers get pretty warm there too! No need to put the finished product in an ice chest to keep it warm in July. Just wrap it up and let it sit in the sun! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back