Minion Method too hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Marlatt

TVWBB Member
After all these Qs I decided to try my first Minion Method on a 4.6lb pork shoulder. I made some errors and would like to share my experience. If only I had consulted the discussions first! My mistakes:
1. Too many coals to start. I fired up 25. Kingsford.
2. Too much coal in the ring. I really loaded up...filled the ring right to the top.
3. Hot water in the pan

Too hot? After adding the hot coals just before 7am and assembling the WSM, my temp showed around 245. Cool, just as planned. I added the meat to the top grate and 2 chunks of apple wood to the fire. Closed the bottom vents and started to keep a lazy eye on it. At hour 2 it was up to 270. hour 3, 4, and 5 a little over 290. It sure holds steady as we all know!

With all the bottom vents closed there ain't much you can do other than scoop out some fuel (which I did not). At the 4 hour mark I added ice water to the pan and spritzed with apple juice. The cooker never started to cool until hour 7 (250) Then started a slow descent to 230 when I shut down after 11 hours, with lots of unused coals leftover.

Interestingly the internal temp was over 185 after 8 hours but it was still firm so I figured I couldn't hurt it by cooking more. As the cooker temp dropped so did the internal meat temp. I checked it once an hour and it was hovering in the mid-170s.

Of course with the WSM you usually have a happy ending, and we did. I removed it after 11 hours because it was literally falling apart. Maybe after all those probe pokes it just said "no mas!" The meat pulled real easy, wasn't dried out, and most of the brown made it to my tummy before it hit the plate. My wife calls it the burnt part...he he he. And the best part was my 4 year old loved it.

In conclusion I realized that I was using way too much charcoal for so small a cut. I was worried about my first Minion Method atempt and didn't want to chase the temps too low all day. I ended up watching helplessly instead as my temps hovered near 300 for 4 hours. But the meat was fatty enough that it took it like a champ and yielded a very tasty meal with plenty of leftovers.

Bob Marlatt

Bob,

Were you measuring your temps at the dome or at the grill level, or both? I use a Taylor's candy thermometer stuck through one of the vent holes in the dome to measure the dome temp. and keep a taylor's mercury oven thermometer on the grill to measure the grill temp.

I cooked a pork shoulder yesterday with my WSM using the Minion method and my temps at the grill stayed in the 200-240 range through the whole cook. The dome temp. varied between 250 and 300.I also filled the charcoal pan to the top when I started with Kingsford briquettes and used water in the water pan.

My advice would be just to keep experimenting with your fuel, water pan contents, and vents until you get it into a range you like, with the thermometers placed as suggested above.

Danny Hardesty

I measure right at the grill level with a Polder on a wine cork. The thermo recently tested accurate within 2 degrees. Trust me that cooker was hot!

Next mm attempt I will start with 15 coals, tepid water, and a smaller bed of fuel. (assuming I have another 4-5lb cut of meat.) I'm sure if I was cooking twice as much meat the temp wouldn't have climbed so much.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob-I had the same problem and found that I had too much air leaking in around the door and where the sections join together. I now use folded aluminum foil to plug the leaks, and I find that I can keep the temp down even with a heaping ring of charcoal.

I am also a new WSM user and like you I tried to follow the Minion Method. I start with a full ring of charcoal and about 20 in the chimney to start. What I found is that it is much, much easier to attenuate the temp going up than to lower it whenever it gets too high. At 230-240 degrees I begin to close the lower vents. Yesterday, I closed 2 vents completely and adjusted the lone remaining vent beginning at about 240 degrees. Temps went to about 260 and then came down a bit. I maintained 235-260 the remainder of the 8 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back