Minion Method Rule of Thumb Request

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shawn, we've had various discussions here before about "making BBQ into rocket science". If that's what you want to do, it probably won't be any fun for you. The enjoyment comes from learning by doing, even if it costs you some extra Kingsford.

More meat means more heatsink, and that means more fuel consumption, all other things being equal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> making BBQ into rocket science". If that's what you want to do <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Not really, though I do enjoy 'why things work'. Don't want you all to think I'm some kind of freak who wants to do science experiments on his WSM. Allow me to explain.

This thread started because of Greg's great suggestion to use MM for the pepper smoke next time. I would want 150F for around 8hrs with one or two trays of peppers. When it came to asking the question, I did some searches without much luck. Then I decided to at least think about what I was asking before asking it.

I felt if what I came up with was correct, the Rule of thumb could exist. More to the point, it would save future MM questions like the one I could have asked instead 'How many lit and unlit for this much of this meat at some heat, it's overcast, windy and 45F?'. Initial post is what I came up with. Maybe I should have asked the simple question instead.

In the end, the only conclusion we can really make is: the Minion Method can work for different scenarios but it may take some trial and error to achieve a successfull result.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> even if it costs you some extra Kingsford <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> I can live with that, makes sense. Don't waste a dollar trying to save a dime.

thanks all for your patience and sharing of ideas

Shawn
Hope this helps if use less unlit chacoal the total burn time will be less but that does not mean you would lite less charcoal proportionaly to charcoal load. They are two different things, the amount of lit charcoal dicates the amount of heat and the fuel size dicates the lenght of the burn.

If it is windy you will start less fuel cause the wind will whip up the heat. Starting with less burning coals and better chance that you have to control the burn. If it's cold and calm with a large amount of cold meat then more lit fuel is called for.

Doug is right it's about cooking and learning. No a+b=Q with fire control.
It's more art than pure science.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> They are two different things, the amount of lit charcoal dicates the amount of heat and the fuel size dicates the lenght of the burn <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
These are encompassed within the first two assumptions in the initial post. I was pressing the others hoping for confirmation because I wasn't sure if I got it right. I want to apply them to a 8 hour 150F cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> If it is windy you will start less fuel cause the wind will whip up the heat <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Glad you cleared that one up, I thought we should light more because WSM would lose heat in the wind.

I think I see the light. The Minion method can be used for different temperature and duration cooks. Make sure you have enough charcoal (Doug said don't worry about wasting a little), and light fewer coals because it's easier to get the temp up than down (as you provided).

Thanks for donating your thumbs to the community Jim and Doug!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back