minion method question

Brian Collins

i plan on doing a butt this week. my wsm seems to run a little cold
how do most of you load and burn yours. load and place lit coals in middle/ scatter them around? i was going to try something different and try burning side to side so the ash will drop and not choke the fire any. has anyone done this and it work for you?

I fill a Weber chimney just above the top of the grate. After the coals are hot, I spread them out evenly over the surface of the charcoal bed in my WSM.

Bob

Personally, I'm not a fan of any method that'll make my fire burn unevenly.

I light 75% or so of the top layer and rarely have ash suffocation issues as long as humidity or moisture isn't an issue. However, I don't use K blue for anything other than the lit coals at most. If using 100% KB you'll be better off with an ATC or maybe trying the coffee can method. Lots of other guys still love smoking with the stuff, though. I prefer the K comp, good lump, or Stubbs.

For butts, I fill ring to the very top, sometimes mounding extra in the middle and spread about 15 lit on top. Never had an issue with ash choking fire. Start with an ash free charcoal bowl.

Brian, to be honest , I do not have a preferred method to minion a start. I just fill the ring with what I think I need( an experience item, you will soon learn what your WSM needs for a 4,6 or 12 hour cook). Scatter my lit briquettes about in no particular way, put the meat on, back up and wait for the temp to get about 20 degrees below where I want it, then adjust bottom vents.

In my stable at the present time I have three kinds of charcoal,K blue, Stubbs and Natures something or other. I cannot tell you that one type produces a better packer brisket. They have their differences but seem to do a creditable job in the final analysis. There are some poor choices but they are well known.

In summation, just enjoy your cooker. With minimal effort and forethought you will soon be producing superb results.

thanks for the input. i normally use stubbs mixed with some royal oak or cowoy lump. i found out several years ago that i think the stubbs burns fairly warm compared to others. i just may have a problem with moisture though is why i asked. i have a mini barn that i store my coal in. my yard is downhill right where the shed is and is under some trees taht shade it. i have been filling ring close to full and putting 1 full lit chimney on, with sand in pan.
last few times i cooked i would get my temp to 250 and stabilize it. my temps would fall off within a couple hrs to under 200. stirring coals and could not get temp back up high as i would like. i tried it today and burned from side to side on some ribs and it worked perfect with no temp falling. i used up the last of my stubbs.. so when i get more i will find a new place to store it.

It's really important - and often quite helpful - that you (and others) let the rest of us know where you are. Go to your profile page and edit it to include your location.

Many times on this board fuel or temp problems (or simply procedures) are dependent on location. It would be good for other members to know where you are.

a full lit chimney? really? and it's not getting hot enough? i just did a brisket with a clay saucer in the pan (no water obviously) and i started with a full bag unlit in the ring and placed 20 lit coals on top of it. I pretty much had to full close all the bottom vents in order to keep it under 225 and it ran around 220 for 20 hours. is it extremely cold where ever you are?

Back