Minion Method Question.

Willard USA

I have used the Minion method several times now with good results. The only problem I see with the Minion method is that I need to stir the coals somewhere between 12 and 14 hours into the cook to clean the ash out of the coals. This usually leads to a nasty temperature spike which can take an hour or more to get under control.

1. I was wondering how it would work if I started with the lit coals on the bottom instead of the top. It seems like this might prevent the ash build up problem described above. However, it might make the temperature harder to control.
2. How do other people prevent a temperature spike after stirring the coals while cooking with Minion method.

#2 I'm guessing your using Kingsford? There has been some problem with Kingsford producing alot of ash the past year or two. I use Lump and don't have the ash problem others have with Kingsford. The best way is to give the WSM a few semi gentle kicks but with a little ump where the leg bolts onto the charcoal bowl. A rubber mallet works well too. I usually push down on the lid handle pretty hard just to keep it all together incase i kick a little too hard.
icon_biggrin.gif

EDIT: For some dumb reason i forgot to answer question #1. What Doug said below me.
icon_wink.gif

Are you opening your vents before stirring to tr and get the temps up?

I just open my door and stir the coals around a bit. I get an increase of maybe 10 degrees but usually the temps have dropped off by that much.

In answer to question #1, no. The MM works by making the fire slowly work its way down through the charcoal bed-- against the convective airflow of the cooker. If you put the lit charoal on the bottom, it would have an effect similar to the mechanism of a charcoal starter chimney, igniting more of the bed faster.

In response to Bryan, I am using Kingsfort charcoal. When I stir the coals, I usually pull the lid and remove the meat so I don't cover the meat with ash. Then, I open the side door, and stir the coals so most of the ash falls through. If needed, I add some charcoal, then replace the meat and lid.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Willard: I usually pull the lid ... If needed, I add some charcoal, then replace the meat and lid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think part of the problem with the temp spikes may be leaving the lid off during the entire process. I stir in the a.m. during overnighters and have not had the problem. My lid temp may be down around 200, and when I stir and add a few unlit, I don't have a problem with spikes. I think putting the lid back of when you remove the meat ( I don't remove the meat), plus anticipating a spike by closing vents, should solve the problem.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Willard:
In response to Bryan, I am using Kingsfort charcoal. When I stir the coals, I usually pull the lid and remove the meat so I don't cover the meat with ash. Then, I open the side door, and stir the coals so most of the ash falls through. If needed, I add some charcoal, then replace the meat and lid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Willard, Try the whack/tap on the leg thing instead of pulling the meat and such. That works pretty good with minimal ash flying around.

Willard, agree with everything everyone else has said. I use the whack and thump with the rubber mallet but what really worked for me was two things . One, I used the MM where you make a hole in the center of your charcoal or use a coffee can and put the lit in there. It spreads out from the center and, not to beat a dead horse ,stopped using Kingsford. Too much ash.Was choking my lit out.

Wilard
Everytime you add fuel to a fire, be it wood or coals, or stir the coals you will get a heat spike, that's ok unles it lasts for too long.
Jim

Back