Minion Method on a non-bullet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are all smaller branch pieces cut up. Usually around 1 to 2 inches around. I may have some that are around 3 inches around but that's about it. I get all my wood from trimming tree's not cutting them down. So I never use the trunk portions.

Does it make a difference? I would'nt think it would. But then again what do I know about wood /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif Pretty much nothing!

Hey guys.

Quick question. I tried some Hickory chunks while cooking steaks the other day and it was great. I used them again while cooking chicken just to try but the wood actually flared up quite a bit even with the lid closed. It would eventually go out but I don't remember the chunks actually flaming while cooking the steaks. Any reason why? My vents were all in the same place. About 25% open both times.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Wesley S:
[qb] Hey guys.

Quick question. I tried some Hickory chunks while cooking steaks the other day and it was great. I used them again while cooking chicken just to try but the wood actually flared up quite a bit even with the lid closed. It would eventually go out but I don't remember the chunks actually flaming while cooking the steaks. Any reason why? My vents were all in the same place. About 25% open both times. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I've had wood flare up on me if I have the lid off of the grill. But usually when I put the lid back on the flames die and the wood will smolder.

BTW you cook steaks with the air intake three quarter closed. I get my best results the hotter the grill is. I'll actually spread the coals so there piled a bit on one side. Then a smaller amount of coals in a single layer spread out on the other side of the grill. That way I've got a hot side and a cooler side. .I'll sear each side on the hot side for a couple of minutes per side. Then I move them over to the cooler side to finish cooking to desired doneness. The intake vents are wide open and I never cook with the lid on for steaks. This I've found gives me the best results for steaks.
Oh and I've never tried throwing wood chips on while cooking steaks. I usually try and use Kingsford mesquit charcoal for that.
You could try chopping the chunks itno smaller peices and foiling them. Then poking a bunch of holes in the top of the foil. This way they will smolder in the foil letting the smoke out of the holes. This would prevent any flare ups. Just a thought.

Well I cooked burgers tonight and used the chunks again. I love the taste and there was no flare up. Not one bit. I don't know why it was so bad the other day. It was a bit windy when it flared up and I had to move the grill under the carport to finish cooking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back