Minion Method for Brisket

Art B

TVWBB Super Fan
Could someone post a link to Jim's brisket method? I was planning on trying it this weekend, and my pathetic attempts at board searches are coming up empty.

Thanks!

here it is quickly, The only trimming I do is maybe some of the hard fat, I leave the fat cap on. On the otherside I will take off any silver skin small pieces of fat it may have. I rub everything but the fat cap. Cook fat side down until the internal reaches 190*. At this point I wrap in foil and place in a dry cooler for 2 to 4 hours fat side up.
Hope this helps.
Jim

Ahhh, perfect. Thanks!

Any basting/turning?

On edit, I guess there wouldn't be any turning. Basting, though?

Thanks again. Any method that allows me to be lazy (set the Guru and walk away) is a good method, as far as I'm concerned.

Jim,
What are you using for rub and how heavy do you apply it, if you don't mind me asking. I understand you not wanting to give up any trade secrets! As I recall you keep your pit temp. around 225-235 with just a few chunks of cherry for the smokin'. Is this about right?

Art i notice your in brooklyn. I grew up there and just recently moved to queens. Do you get your wood around here or do the mail order thing?

Jack
I use a number of rubs, two you can't go wrong with are Bonesmoker and turbinado sugar, and I enjoy Head Counrty very much also. Cherry or apple are my favorites.
Temps are good.
Jim
PS: Both rubs are good on pork also.

Patrick, I do mail order. Home Depot and Lowes don't really have anything good. Though if you have family and friends in the 'burbs, you can often score from them.

A wise man once told me, "I cook with the fat, but I don't serve it...."

You will not melt away all of the fat. Personally, I think a little bit of fat is a good thing, just like on a good steak or a good woman.

There's typically a decent amount of the fat cap left. The fat is easy to scrape or slice off after having removed the point and prior to slicing the flat.

~Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
here it is quickly, The only trimming I do is maybe some of the hard fat, I leave the fat cap on. On the otherside I will take off any silver skin small pieces of fat it may have. I rub everything but the fat cap. Cook fat side down until the internal reaches 190*. At this point I wrap in foil and place in a dry cooler for 2 to 4 hours fat side up.
Hope this helps.
Jim <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim, why do you cook briskets fat side down? I saw Dave Klose once said he thinks that's better, too, but most people cook them fat-side-up so the rendered fat will flow into the meat.

TomKattt

I think you'll find that the rendered fat does not flow into the meat but just te opposite. The rendered fat flow out of the meat. As a matter of fact you can boil a piece of meat in water until its dry as a bone. Ever have pot roast without gravy???

The fat on the bottom protects the meat from the direct heat comming from the bottom of the cooker. If I'm wrong, there will be a hord of folks jumping in real soon.

Al

Tom
Al is right. The reason I cook brisket fat side down is because I look for the best techniques that are repeatable. I and others find that in vertical cookers (WSM, pellet feeders and ceramic cookers as an example) this technique works well.

In a offset I would flip a brisket during the cook, each style if cooker gives you different condititons to deal with.
Jim

The whole fat side down/up debate is eternal. There used to be a television commercial here in (north?) Texas for a bank (think it was Frost Bank..) that had various employees stating their heartfelt opinions on the matter.
icon_smile.gif
People here love to argue about their Q as I'm sure they do in other closely tied barbeque regions of the country. Perhaps heated debate makes it taste better.
icon_biggrin.gif

~Dave

Well, I tried it this weekend. 8lb-er, untrimmed. Gave it a rub and set it going, fat side down, at about 240*. Took it off at 190*. Foiled it and put it in a cooler for about 3 hours.

Huge smoke ring. Tasted great, but was a little dry out on the edge. The rest seemed OK, though. It's possible that, because I used the Guru in ramp mode, it sat at 190* for longer than it should have, and that's what dried it out. Just shredded the point, sliced the flat. Had some sandwiches, then, because it turned cold this weekend, decided to make chili out of the rest.

Best damn chili I've ever made.

Art
Because of the shape of a brisket the out edge will be that part that will be drier than the rest. When competing what I turn in is the section of flat that is under the point because it will be the most moist.
The only other thing you may want to do is use a lower pit temp say 225 to 230. I don't know how tthe ramp mode works so I can't help you there.
Jim

Fair enough -- the part under the point was, in fact, much moister (more moist?) I'll still try it at a slightly lower temp next time.

If you're curious about how the ramp mode works, you can check out the explanation here .

Back