minion method amature

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Berry

TVWBB Fan
Sorry for the boring post but...I'm new to the minion method. I understand that this was originally created with the WSM and y'all have modified to work with the kettle. My questions are:

Using a kettle, how many unlit coals and how many lit? I've been using indirect method for a while and have never counted the coals on one side but I guess I'm trying to figure out the ratio needed.

Do y'all like to layer wood chips within the unlit coals?

I'm sure this has been discussed in detail before so if someone could post the link that would be great. I plan to buy a couple of fire bricks this weekend if I can find them.

Thanks

PS: Mermaids with long flowing thick hair p**s me off.

Michael, I haven't used the MM on my OTS,just the WSM. But I wouldn't use too many,maybe a dozen or so. I take it you are going for low and slow on the kettle. I used to count the briquettes,now I just dump some in the chimney. It's not an exact science. But keep up the good work,and you will get to be a master of it sooner than later. As far as the chips go,yes,layer them in. Soak some to put on top,but the ones you mix in,leave dry. The heat from the coals will just dry them back out. HTH

Thanks Phil....yep, I'm looking to keep the temp low for longer for new adventures. I've been able to cook for 6 hours (without adding coals) with just the normal indirect method but those were times when nothing came up where I had to walk away for a while. I want to learn a method that allows me to feel confident about getting involved with something else for a while, whether I want a 4 hour cook or a 14 hour cook. Don't get me wrong...I like just grilling with nothing else "coming up" but sometimes.....

My main confusion is how many unlit coals to use, I get that you go for about 8-10 lit, but is a full chimney of unlit enough, I am attempting my first pork shoulder this weekend on my performer and want to get it right

i usually use at least a full chimney of unlit and then put lit on top. depending i might use more unlit or add it later depending on the burn.

I'm not much more than a novice at it myself, but the amount of lit coals depends on how hot you want your grill to run. If you don't need much heat then start with a smaller amount of lit, but for higher heat you may need to start with a half chimney or more. You control how quickly the fire spreads to the unlit by adjusting the airflow. The ideal amount of unlit depends on the cooking time.

I'm doing a pork shoulder tomorrow and hoping for a quicker (3.5 hour) cook at around 350-375 degrees. I'll fill the charcoal rails on either side of my 18.5 OTG with unlit and then split a 1/2 chimney of lit between them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back