Mini WSM use instead of WSM

Don Fry

TVWBB Super Fan
Just finished building my first mini WSM, pictures to follow in the mini WSM topic below, using a SJG that wasn’t getting much use in recent years. Was wondering for those of you who have mini WSMs, what are your favorite things that you use it for at home instead of firing up your big WSM or other smoker. I built one because I always wanted to, but now that I have it I am not totally sure what I am going to do with it if that makes sense. BTW – I am not a tailgater or a camper so I am really interested in home use.

Hey Don,

I have been doing 2 brined chickens in my mini every 10-14 days. It is perfect for that. I've been doing them butterflied and whole, I like them better butterflied, no reason really, just my preference. I've also done some small pork butts (2-3 pounds) and it was perfect for that too. Easily ran 6+ hours on a load of RO lump. I'm using a foiled flower pot base, but was thinking of trying a disposable pie plate instead, just for easier cleanup. Enjoy!

Enjoy your build.
I use mine for lots of light duty chores. If we want baked potatoes, I fire up the mini instead of the oven, I cold-smoke cheese and other goodies in it. I do small batches of ABT's in it – it went 250 miles to the in-laws on Thanksgivings for an ABT cook – and I've done chuckie and chickens. And I've roasted pecans. It's so versatile and easy to set up that I wouldn't be without it.

Don't have one yet (hoping Santa brings me the supplies). Sounds like you can do a butt on them without issue. I'm looking forward to using it for fatties when I'm grilling the main course.

You could always start tailgating, one of my favorite things to do.

Don, vague as this may sound;anything you can smoke on the WSM, smoke on your mini! (Except maybe a whole brisket) butts, ribs, chicken, flats, jerky, whole turkey, turkey breast, chicken wings, ABTs, anything. These little things are so efficient, and so easy to use, the sky is the limit. I'm planning on doing Pepper Stuot Beef, wings, and some ABTs on mine for my New Years get together. Oh, one more, I broke mine in with a simple fattie! Trust me, you'll love your mini!
Good luck,
Tim

Thanks much to everybody for all the input. Doing a test burn on it today before I go for record on Christmas Day. Was able to get temps and hold them over 300 without a problem. Thing is running steady as a rock on low and slow now for hours. Really impressed so far. Going to get up a little early and put on a fatty for to have with breakfast.

IMAG0971_zps8757a768.jpg

No coating at all on the inside. Will be posting pictures etc. in the next day or so under the Mini WSM Project Topic below with the details of my build.

Thanks much to everybody for all the input. Doing a test burn on it today before I go for record on Christmas Day. Was able to get temps and hold them over 300 without a problem. Thing is running steady as a rock on low and slow now for hours. Really impressed so far. Going to get up a little early and put on a fatty for to have with breakfast.

IMAG0971_zps8757a768.jpg

-IF- by chance Don you have any extra you wanna share, I'm only about an hour away (in Douglasville). ;) It'll be a perfect Christmas eve (fattys from a fellow TVWBB member, and shopping at the nearby Tanger Outlet Center). Might make a quick stop by the Summit warehouse in McDonough while i'm down that way too. Traffic is going to be terrible! :eek:

Finally posted a thread on my mini WSM build inspite of Photobucket not wanted to play nice.

W Tyler - fellow TVWBB members are always welcomed, even more welcomed if you are a fan of the correct SEC team. ;) Stop by sometime and we can send smoke signals together. :wsm: I literally live between Tanger and Summit, so I would have you covered either way.

Back