Mini WSM build details

That was why we asked about the hole drilled in the Tamale pot vs one big hole cut thru, I have mine on my balcony and even with the wind, the temp stayed above 350F.. some thing to think about.. but nice cook

I'm planning on cutting the whole bottom out before the next cook. Not sure how much this will affect it when it's windy. But the biggest reason is that it gives you more space for charcoal. I found on my last cook that after putting the charcoal in how I wanted it, the wood on top was too tall. With the bottom cut out, that wouldn't have been a problem since it would have given me about 1.5 inches more in height.

Cutting out the bottom also gives more breathing room for the coals.
So, how did you remedy the handle situation?

Well, I've seen worse... But the amount of time you spent grinding the lip could have been used to clamp the rolled edge and leave a factory smooth finished product behind.
What exactly do you mean by "clamp the rolled edge"? Please show pix. I'm not feeling like the sharpest knife in the rack

I came up with some vent handles that I liked. So tonight I installed them. Which pretty much completes my Mini build. I have to say that I really enjoyed doing this. I'm planning on breaking her in on Sunday to get ready for the beating the Broncos are going to lay on the Chargers. Philip Rivers? Never heard of her....

20140107_195837.jpg

20140107_195809.jpg

20140107_195820.jpg

I also installed a lid holder mod that I saw in another thread.

20140107_195849.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Awesome Job, the decal and the Tap vent handles classic look Love it..!!

George, For now I have just removed the bottom tap handle. I haven't had time to work out a permanent solution yet. Probably do exactly what you suggested by running a rod through both tabs on the vent.

Cutting out the bottom also gives more breathing room for the coals.
So, how did you remedy the handle situation?

I finally did another cook on my mini this last weekend. It performed extremely well! I did end up cutting out the entire bottom of the pot, and it helped a lot. I don't think the coals could breath well enough how I had it with just the small holes drilled out. There were a couple strong winds that came through and even some rain for a sort time at one point during the cook. The Mini only fluctuated about 10 degrees in either direction for the whole cook. I'm really happy with how it performed.

Here's a link to that cook: http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?50400-Pork-Belly-Tacos-on-the-Mini-WSM

Back