Mike's Vertical Grill

Great thinking on the Louis Lunch reference, Mac. I thought I was a genius for thinking of it myself and was planning on posting a pic until I saw your link...you beat me to it!

I think I'll stick with my kettle and wsm. Thanks but no thanks.

ps-how can anyone eat food cooked with matchlight? It looked like someone soaked it in gas for a day.

Brined two 4# fryers overnight in basic salt/brown sugar brine. Rinsed well and dried all day. Split a lemon and a giant bunch of parsley between the cavities, s&p in & out and rotisseried 1hr 40mins using full chimney of RO. Basted w/ butter every 20 mins. SO thought it was the best ever. I can't say the parsley added much to flavor, but the aroma while carving rocked. And for me, I have to have a lemon with my chicken. But I guess the flavor of honor was the butter. The breasts were devine...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rita Y:
Something new: Mike's Vertical Grill

Reminds me of the way that chickens (Göckele, in Schwabian), skewered head-to-toe or side-by-side onto long (6- or 8-foot) poles, are spit-roasted in the Volksfests in Germany. They are so good, but I've failed so far to reproduce them in flavor.

Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hmm, don't we all have vertical grills? I mean, you know, heat rising and all that
icon_rolleyes.gif

Interesting concept using charcoal. There is a place in Boston I think, that has been using a verticle gas grill for hamburgers for a tad over 100 years, they claim that family 4-fathers invented the hamburger. Was featured on the Cooking Channel not long ago.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Freeman:
Interesting concept using charcoal. There is a place in Boston I think, that has been using a verticle gas grill for hamburgers for a tad over 100 years, they claim that family 4-fathers invented the hamburger. Was featured on the Cooking Channel not long ago. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's Louis Lunch in Connecticut...mentioned several times above.

Rita:
Please tell me how you "dry brine" chickens?
I've read about this someplace but can't remember the procedures, how much salt, time, etc. \
Thanks
Jerry P

Wolgast & Rita, I have had that Oktoberfest chicken when I was in Munich for Oktoberfest in 1986. One of the best chickens I have ever had. If I recall right, a half chicken was about 4DM. Cheaper than a single liter mug of beer.

Mike's Vertical Grill is a big PASS on it. Limited on what you can fit in the basket. Crap for grill marks. No temp control. Aww, heck I think we are thinking the same, It will not replace our Webers.

Jerry, the method has been around for years but has gained popularity in the last couple of years in part because of Judy Rodgers of Zuni grill. There has been some discussion of it here in the forums, so you might try searching for "dry-brining" or "salting." The Internet also has some interesting articles. Russ Parsons, of (I think) the LA Times or SF Chronicle wrote a couple of salted turkey articles for 2 successive Thanksgivings, maybe 3 or 4 years ago. They will come up in a search, I'm sure.

Here, briefly, is what Cook's Illustrated says:

Salting Meat
Cook’s Illustrated, January 1, 2010.

Over the years, we have found that salting improves the texture and flavor of nearly every type of meat.
Salting helps proteins retain their own natural juices and is the best choice for meats that are already relatively juicy and/or well-marbled. When salt is applied to raw meat, juices inside the meat are drawn to the surface. The salt then dissolves in the exuded liquid, forming a brine that is eventually reabsorbed by the meat. The result? Juicy, evenly seasoned meat.

Preferred salt: Kosher

Benefits over brining: More convenient (no need to cram a large container of salt water in the fridge); won’t thwart goal of crispy skin on poultry or well-browned crust on steak, chops, or roasts since no moisture is added to their exteriors. Its coarse texture makes it easier to sprinkle evenly. Cons: Takes longer than brining.

The longer the meat is salted, the more tender it will be. In many cases, we leave the salted meat uncovered or loosely covered, as a slightly drier surface allows for more efficient browning. However, too much drying will lead to an irretrievably leathery crust; for salting times over 12 hours, a protective layer of plastic wrap is necessary.

Cook's has a chart that is helpful but it won't be legible if I cut and paste it here.

Recipes on Cook’s site that use salting: Roast Salted Turkey, London Broil For a Charcoal Grill, Grill-Roasted Beef Tenderloin, Thick-Cut Pork Tenderloin Medallions
http://www.cooksillustrated.co...tail.asp?docid=21559

Rita

Mac... I thought the same thing when I seen her put them burgers in sideways..Louis lunch!! It doesn't seem very practical to me. I got my 2 kettles and I think I will stick with them. I do not any upside to using that grill...

FWIW - Louis Lunch featured on Man v Food Nation. Rerun on Travel Channel Saturday morning 11e/10c. [Sorry for wrong time, previously...]

Back