Mike's Vertical Grill

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Something new: Mike's Vertical Grill

Reminds me of the way that chickens (Göckele, in Schwabian), skewered head-to-toe or side-by-side onto long (6- or 8-foot) poles, are spit-roasted in the Volksfests in Germany. They are so good, but I've failed so far to reproduce them in flavor.

Rita

That's a lot of charcoal to cook 2 burgers. And Matchlight to boot! Think I'll stick with my kettle.

yea, i was thinking that also. also looks like a slight altered copy of a german style grill.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mac McClure:
Wonder if he was inspired by Louis' Lunch? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny that you say that Rita. The best chicken I have ever had was in Germany. Everyone thinks I'm nuts, but they cook a mean yard bird over there. I also had some of the best seafood pasta ever in Frankfort. Who woulda thunk it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
yea, i was thinking that also. also looks like a slight altered copy of a german style grill.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mac McClure:
Wonder if he was inspired by Louis' Lunch? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was the first thing I thought of, too. Want to know why I'm fat? Even though I live in Florida, and have never been to Connecticut, that grill made me immediately think of the old school broiler they use at Louis' Lunch.

Shane, I couldn't agree with you more about the best chicken in Germany. Perhaps they have better chickens? I had mine at the Cannstatter Volksfest and I'm dying to duplicate it on the rotisserie, but I can't get it right. I'd like to go back just to renew my taste buds.

My German relatives have not been successful in finding a seasoning recipe, I'm sad to say, even though they are good cooks, but not as rabid as I am. I have a suspicion that the chickens were salted and seasoned at least overnight before cooking, but who knows?

Rita

Yeah, I was in the military, so no festivals. I just got mine from a guy on the street. He had a rotisserie and I think it was horizontal, but who knows. They were slightly smaller than our typical chickens and seemed to be seasoned simply, but they were goooooood.

The Military was not allowed to the festivals?

In Stuttgart, it seemed that the military were welcome everywhere when I was there. The German-speaking Chinese (Chinese people) restaurants were fantastic. As an American, I recall that it was unsettling to hear German spoken by Asian waiters. Beautiful, in terms of adaptation.

Yes, the rods in the Bier tents were horizontal but had maybe 15 to 20 chickens skewered on each rod. It took 2 people to position them on the hooks on each side of the vertical charcoal holders. But after all these years, I can't remember if the chickens rotated on the rods or whether they were turned by hand.

Can you recall?

Rita

Here's how to save $249.99: set up your kettle with the coals in baskets on either side, put your hot dogs and burgers in a rib rack in the middle. Not only will your top grill grate stay clean, but you can still cook hot dogs in 1.2 minutes.

Lol, just another contraption imo. I am sure it's cook's fine, but would take 5 hrs to cool down.

Rita, your description of the German speaking Chinese waiters made me laugh! I was stationed there from 1981-83. There was a great Chinese restaurant in Bayreuth. I can still remember how I felt the first time I went there and saw the waiter speaking German to the customers. I still wonder if anyone noticed me with my jaw on the floor, staring at the waiter the whole time! Thanks for bringing back that memory.

Mike

Ray, I'm a proud first generation American. Both my parents were from Germany; from the Stuttgart and Speyer areas.

What about you?

Rita

The Germans can cook and they have a few really stand out dishes!

I cant give you any hints about the recipe for now but i will check with some fellow G ppl.

About the grill...

Well im sure it heats up food
cons:
1 Temp controll
2 Fuel efficiency
3 cooking area

Pros:
no Flair up´s*

*=same as using a grill WITH a lid

Reasaults = well dont get that "cube"

Thanks, Wolgast, it's really nice to have you on the forums! I hope you'll have more success than I have had.

Rita

P.S. He can't cook a whole chicken or a roast in that thing. It's limited to the thickness of burgers and chicken breasts.

Rita,

I spent 31 months in Germany in the Army in the early 60's. Had a daughter born there. Love the country (my ancestors are from Prussia). I also visited Germany on business at least once a month for 4 years (1991 to 1994). Learned to speak German and developed a better feel for their culture and lifestyle. A wonderful, beautiful country.

Ray

Well the only thing i can give you is an easy way of cooking chicken that has been used in München for a long time(not really an recipe)

This is how the traditional Oktoberfest chicken(Wiesn Hendl) is made.

47986-haehnchen_am_spiess_ddp.jpg

1 frech chicken(3 lb)
100g butter
Parsley(to fill the cavity)
salt/pepper

Rub the bird inside and out with salt/pepper.
Fill it with parsley and some butter and put it on the grill,brush it with butter every 10 min.

Temp: around 375.
Time: 60-90 mins depending on the size of the bird.

All info i could find about this traditional Oktoberfest chicken.

A rotisserie would be perfect for this!

Sometimes keep it simple over runs the complicated Cuisine.

Wolgast, I've been looking for a picture like that for years but apparently didn't use the right search words.

Yes, I thought the seasoning would be pretty simple, especially considering the quantity of chickens that are cooked at the same time. I wonder how much flavor the parsley actually contributes.

They really only have to butter the top rack of chickens. Talk about self-basting!
icon_smile.gif

I'm going to dry-brine a couple of chickens and give this a whirl on my rotisserie as soon as possible.

Thank you for finding this for me!

Rita

Back