Mike Mill's magic dust too spicy?

Jeff Davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
I made Mike Mill's ribs from Peace, Love and BBQ last night. He has a recipe for a rub called "Magic Dust" that I used. Here is the recipe:

INGREDIENTS:

* 1/2 cup paprika
* 1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 2 tablespoons mustard powder
* 1/4 cup chili powder
* 1/4 cup ground cumin
* 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
* 1/4 cup granulated garlic
* 2 tablespoons cayenne

The ribs were very, very spicy, on the border of being unpleasant. Has anyone made magic dust? Has anyone had the same experience?

thanks,
jd

I have never made it, but it does look somewhat heavy (2 Tbsp) on the cayenne, I would think a 1/2tsp to 1 tsp of cayenne would do the trick depending on personal preference. Just my two cents worth...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jeff davidson:
I made Mike Mill's ribs from Peace, Love and BBQ last night. He has a recipe for a rub called "Magic Dust" that I used. Here is the recipe:

INGREDIENTS:

* 1/2 cup paprika
* 1/4 cup kosher salt, finely ground
* 1/4 cup sugar
* 2 tablespoons mustard powder
* 1/4 cup chili powder
* 1/4 cup ground cumin
* 2 tablespoons ground black pepper
* 1/4 cup granulated garlic
* 2 tablespoons cayenne

The ribs were very, very spicy, on the border of being unpleasant. Has anyone made magic dust? Has anyone had the same experience?

thanks,
jd </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll bet it was. A rub that contains 2T of mustard powder, 2T black pepper, 2T cayenne pepper and a 1/4 cup chili powder is going to be spicey.

Cut cayenne in half and add sugar (I would use turbinado). A sweet sauce would help also offset the heat.
Jim

I too found this recipe to be a little too spicy. I am glad I was not the only one. I followed the recipe to a tee. I ended up throwing most of it out. That said, I really enjoyed the book Peace Love and Barbecue. I would highly recommend it to beginers and experienced cooks alike.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I also have made this rub and thought that it was OK, but my brother really liked it. Everyone has their opinion. Me, I wont make it again.

Back