Midsection Handles on a 22 WSM

Matt Y

TVWBB Member
I have a 22" WSM and I was thinking of making some handles for the midsection, but i still want my stock cover to fit over the unit when the handles are on.

Do people with midsection handles (either 18 or 22" WSM) still have clearance for their covers?

I used some universal fit garage door handles that I found at Home Depot.

They lined up with the grate holder holes perfectly and the cover still fits just fine on our 18.5" wsm.

It's slightly harder to slip the cover on, but it absolutely still fits.

I used some universal fit garage door handles that I found at Home Depot.

They lined up with the grate holder holes perfectly and the cover still fits just fine on our 18.5" wsm.

It's slightly harder to slip the cover on, but it absolutely still fits.

I used garage door handles on my 22" also. Not as nice as some I've seen but the cover still fits.

Thanks Guys!

@Dwain - I haven't seen garage door handles that would fit a 22" - where did you find yours?

I don't think Weber makes all the covers the same. I've read numerous posts where some slide on with no problem and some that have a bear of a time putting it on, and that's without handles..
I did mine just like my OTG and they stand out 2 1/4" per side and my cover still fit,tho snug. I used to slide a large trash bag over it first and that made it easier. (less friction)
But I gave away my cover cause all my Weby's are garage kept. Personally I would rather have handles, and if the stock cover doesn't fit, try to find something bigger.

Tim

I used Ranch Kettle Handles mounted horizontally on the 22" and my cover fits snug, but fine. Remember that the 2nd lid handle sticks out, so you can add another handle to the midsection without changing the footprint. I usually rotate the lid so that the the lid handle lines up with the midsection handle. It's a little easier to put on the cover that way

941407_968085162418_1088266780_n.jpg

198908_964871412798_573854669_n.jpg

Front

375139_964871273078_815327130_n.jpg

Those look like Weber fireplace handles and not Ranch kettle handles. They are less expensive too. When I purchased them they were 2 handles for $16.00. The Ranch handles were like $12.00 each and not wood.

Hey Steve, you are probably correct. I was told by the person I bought the from that the handle brackets were a ranch part # but the handles were pulled from a fireplace. I think you can purchase the wooden fireplace handle and bracket assemblies too as one part # but I am not sure.

Last edited:
Hey Steve, you are probably correct. I was told by the person I bought the from that the handle brackets were a ranch part # but the handles were pulled from a fireplace. I think you can purchase the wooden fireplace handle and bracket assemblies too as one part # but I am not sure.

Yes, you can purchase them as one part. The part # is 61486. This includes two brackets with two wooden handles, plus installation hardware. Ranch kettles used to use the same brackets with the plastic handles; however, they changed to a different bracket & handle last year. I ordered two and they were both the new type of bracket with the new gray plastic handle. They also were sold separately for ~$12 each handle assembly. In comparison, the fireplace handles are a better deal at $16 for two brackets (same as old Ranch brackets) and the added bonus of two wooden handles.

You have a nice looking setup BTW

I made handles for mine using flat stock from Lowes and then I just ordered the matching handles like the top one. I have 0 issues with the factory cover slipping over the top at all. I did mount mine vertical instead of horizontal though using the existing holes in the body for the racks. I have long arms and only move it by handles when putting together/taking apart so it wasn't an issue grip wise for me.. I rarely have to take it off for adding coals except in a long smoke...

These are mine:
Metal bent and painted

Handles

Mounted:

There is also info on handle mods here:
http://virtualweberbullet.com/handles.html

Cool design Mike - i didn't think of using the stock plastic grips with some new 'brackets' like that

I did a midsection handle mod to both my WSMs:
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?39313-WSM-Middle-Handle-Mod&p=399487#post399487

Neither stock cover will fit after the mod.
wsmhandle11.jpg

I wonder why some covers fit and some wont. Mine slips over the handles a slight bit snug on the bottom lip putting it first on but then just drops over the rest. I wonder if your handles stick out just a bit farther than mine do...

Cover on with handles- you can see handle bulge at about the 2-3 clock mark

Grabbing the handle area

Matt Y
Thanks and I got the idea from a few peoples pics on here for the handles but just used the holes in body already in place instead of making more. Site is a great place for anything from A-Z on our WSM`s..

Back