"Mica" Colors for Genesis Silver B?

Ralph

TVWBB Super Fan
Picked up a green Genesis Silver B for $25 the other day. The green hood is not a solid color, more "flecked", and thought it was perhaps a condition similar to the fade with black covers. However, when I entered the serial number on the Weber site, it is described as "Genesis Silver B LP SS Grates/Mica Colors (USA)".
Was this a thing where the covers were flecked with mica? DA date code indicates 2011 time frame.
Owner included the original manual in a Weber three-ring binder and a 3/4 full 2020 LP tank, which was nice.

DA would indicate 2001 as the year of manufacture. The last year they made the Silver B was 2006. I know of no "flecked" lids on the silver B grills. Can you post a photo of it?

One of the first grills I ever did was a Silver B, special edition made for Target. It was a very dark gray that maybe looked like you are describing. I am pretty sure the color was called mica.

Yes, 2001. I fat-fingered that one. It was tough getting pictures to show the flecking, but here are some pix. It's consistent across the entire hood (the variations in color are reflections of me). This grill has the fold up shelves on both sides, and has stainless grates (the stamped style).
20210820_083844 (Large).jpg20210820_083954 (Large).jpg

It looks a lot like the weber fade, but it is not usually uniform over the entire lid. Have you removed the Weber badge or the end caps to see what it looks like in areas that have not been so exposed to the elements.

This is interesting.

Looks like Mica. I would clean the outside porcelain enamel completely. Start with a decal razor scraper and 0000 steel wool. Once you get the heavy stuff off you can use easy off or simple green with your steel wool. Rinse completely with water.

You should be able to determine whether the lid has Weber fade or not. Makes a big difference in the value of the lid in my opinion

Yes, 2001. I fat-fingered that one. It was tough getting pictures to show the flecking, but here are some pix. It's consistent across the entire hood (the variations in color are reflections of me). This grill has the fold up shelves on both sides, and has stainless grates (the stamped style).

I have the exact same grill. DD/2000 "special edition." Two flip up tables, SS flav bars, stamped SS grates, mica green lid.

IIRC, they also did mica black and mica blue. Flecks just like you see in a metallic car finish.

The mica green lid color is not a bright as the flat colored lids. So the color is more muted. The mica black looks like dark charcoal gray. I think you have dirt, not fade. Should clean up just fine.

Last edited:
Looks like the mystery is solved.
I had already cleaned the cover with steel wool in the pictures. I was hoping for a regular green grill (I do like the deeper color), but I may fix this up and give to my brother.

Bruce-
Where did you get the color chips picture?

Ralph -- the mica green lid does look a little duller. But very easy to find and swap out a shiny green lid. I've thought about putting a red head on mine.

The double flip tables is a really nice and fairly unusual feature. For a small footprint grill, it turns into a spacious grilling center. The original SS bars are still going after 20 years.

Ralph, Someone uploaded that color pallete to the forum several years ago.

Jim: Those green lids are common around me. I must have rehabbed 5 or 6 of them this summer already.

Back