Metamorphosis Rub (originally titled "Need a new rub for this year")

Well need some help again it seems that there was a run on Red Limo powder and Suzy doesnt have enough to fill my order. Is there another chille powder that would be good as a substitute?

She seems to be out of any I would suggest. Just use what you have for now. That would be my suggestion.

Kevin, have you tried this rub yet? I've used it a few times, and while good, think that maybe...just maybe...it's a little heavy on the thyme? (you just can't get away from those Provencal beginnings, huh?
icon_biggrin.gif
). Don't get me wrong, I like the rub. But I think the thyme makes it a bit...floral.

Are you using French thyme? Don't. Use Spanish or a Med thyme like Turkish. French is very floral. If that's all you have definitely cut it back to 1 T adding 1 T of savory, well ground, or simply cut the thyme.

Originally posted by Brandon A:
Kevin, I was hoping to order the chili's that you described previously, however sweet freedom farm is currently out of the Aji Amarillo is there anything you would suggest as a substitute?

Brandon

Brandon,

I ran into this same issue about a month ago. Red Limo is a good substitute, as you can see if you read back further in this thread. Hope this helps.

That's what I'd go with--if they're available. On the site the amarillo doesn't say 'out of stock' but the limo does. Not sure how often she updates. Another option is aji mirasol from WorldSpice. They do not have the heat of amarillos (so adjust accordingly by adding cayenne or ground de arbol if more heat is desired) but do have good fruit flavor. I use them in salsas often.

Bump. Is this one still a winner in everyones books? Any changes or suggestions? Thinking about blending up a batch this weekend.

Thanks
Paul

Paul,

Yes the rub is great. As far as variations, just read the entire thread; it's changed somewhat with everyone who has made it! That's the neat thing about rubs; you can customize them to your liking. Start with the ingredients you either have on hand or can easily get.

Paul

question

Wanted to ask a question about the rub, couldn't believe it was on page 4 of recipies and thought it would also be beneficial if new members could see. There could be more new members I guess cause the site went through a nice change also. Anyway:

I'd like to leave this alone generally but I would like to make it bolder. Especially for big cuts w/ serious bark. I've been thinking maybe trying with more pepper and have.. but maybe not enough, or the wrong kinds. What other ingredient could I go after/attempt to use, w/ out trashing it or purposley over-salting it (I know its salt free)? Hope that makes sense. I just want to purposly make it say "whoa" on your taste buds, even if its borderline to much. Esp. when its a "bark" bite, I like that. I've had recepies before that would give that bite but the flavors were just...messy, not this at all.
I couldn't believe this wasn't up top, I STILL use this near written. The bayleaf especially adds to it, who da thought. I seen the "rib rub" still near the top but this is actually my go to and recommended. What a great in the moment "brain fart" this turned out to be.
So what do you suggest that would save me time w/ trial and error. Again hope it makes sense. thanks

Last edited:
Dan,

I guess it depends on your definition of 'bold'. In Kevin's earlier contribution, he lists Thyme as the major herb followed by marjoram. I would try bumping up those 2 herbs. Then you can also increase the chile and black pepper amount. You won't over-salt with this rub as there is no salt in it.

Paul

Back