Metamorphosis Rub (originally titled "Need a new rub for this year")

No reason. With Aleppo, consider: 3 T Aleppo, 2 T guajillo, 1 T aji amarillo

or

3 T Aleppo, 2 T guajillo, 1 T cascabel

Sub Aleppo for the typical (and insipid) crushed red pepper in fra diavolo dishes; try it on pizzas; on poached or on or in scrambled or deviled eggs; in herb-based rubs as the only chile (especially for fowl or lamb); in slaws; in hummus or other bean or seed dips; in the rubs for griled steaks or tri-tip (it pairs nicely with Worcestershire powder or sauce--the list goes on. I use a lot of it.

Ok I made up this one.
3 T Aleppo, 2 T guajillo, 1 T cascabel
And should I grind the "Sugar in the Raw" up some so it's the same size as the other ingredients, so they don't seperate?
I did and it worked out perfect. The rub is very consistant granule size and tastes just dandy. Those Aleppo are real funny peppers with your taste buds and brain. I could have some fun with them.
icon_razz.gif
I kind of followed the recipe. I did add salt just 3TBS and upped the cin to 1 tsp, sugar to 2/3 cup, and just used 1 bay leaf, only 3 tsp thyme, and no cumin. It's going on Baby backs tomorrow over lump and Maple Wood.
icon_biggrin.gif

Wow. The Bryan is making rub!?

I love Aleppo. I go through lots of it. It is in a covered bowl on the dining room table, another on the kitchen island, and in a jar in the midst of the mise en place next to the stove.

(Try some--in addition to the chipotle--in your chipotle mayo.)

P.S.--Grinding the turbinado is good in that situation. When I don't, it's at times when the finish texture might be compromised. Then, I just fold it in after the rub is mixed. The coarse texture helps to set up the rub to make a bark-y bark. You shouldn't have an issue with that with bbacks.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Wow. The Bryan is making rub!?

(Try some--in addition to the chipotle--in your chipotle mayo.)
Yeah, first fresh parsley now a rub.
icon_biggrin.gif
I'll add some Aleppo to my Chipotle mayo thanks for the tip. Those Aleppo are faantastic. I got mine from World Spice and they are on the wet side and were pre ground course, not sure if they come that way or some places sell them whole? Anywho I tasted some and got this relly nice fruity taste and about 10 seconds later BAM! came the heat. I really like em. Not super hot or anything just some nice heat, but great taste. K.K if I wanted to add some wosty powder to the mix would 1 tsp be about right? Thanks Man great tasting rub.

Soon you'll be making sauce!

All Aleppo I've purchased (3 sources) has been great but all the same in look and moistness (I like the moistness). I have searched for whole to no avail. (I would love to find some seeds.) The fruity flavor is why I like them. And the heat is just as you described--comes up after the fruit but is not overpowering. Aji amarillos are similar in that way but the fruitiness is different, delicious but with a different sort of fruit, somewhat berry-like, like guajillos but not so earthy/deep, lighter.

I think 3/4-1 t Worce powder would be right.

You know why I made this don't you. None of that Paprika crap in there.
icon_biggrin.gif
Sauce No. I really don't use it that much. I like my ribs dry and for Chuck Roll I make my Chipotle mayo. For PP sammies I use Head Country reg and hot, love them 2 sauces, and at $2.00 a bottle I'll keep buying it. A case of it lasts me years and Shawn W up North gets some of it too.
icon_wink.gif

My plan is to make the rub as Kevin posted initially. However, there are concerns among the family that it would have too much bite - read that as heat. With that in mind, I'm going to use 3Tbs ground ancho, 2Tbs of guajillo, and 1Tbs of aleppo for the chili blend and up the turbinado to 2/3 cup. That, to my thinking, should give a nice balance between spice and sweet.

Feedback from any and all appreciated.

Peace.

Alan

"Vegetables aren't food. Vegetable are what food eats."

I made a version of Kevin's rub last night for an all night chuck smoke. Fantastic! I especially like the idea to salt the meat first. This will be my regular rub.

I made a spin off of this too. I have some B.B.'S in the fridge now waiting to enjoy some of this rub. The taste and smell of the rub alone is awesome, I dont know if I can wait much longer.

Great work again Kevin!!!!

Rick

Kevin,

I just got some ancho, guajiilo, and amarillo from Sweet Freedom Farms (they also sent me a small sample packet of Mexican oregano!).

Everything came in plastic baggies. Would you recommend storing them in something different?

Thanks Rick!

Steve-- If you are likely to use them within a few months, simply move them to Zip-locs.

Well, I made the rub tonight. A lot of work, what with the toasting/grinding of the chilis and other spices. This rub better be good, Kevin!
icon_biggrin.gif
I'm going to be making some spares with it. Anybody have ideas for sides? I'd really like to do something with blue potatoes. Maybe a blue potato salad, that I could make ahead of time and just pull out of the fridge when we want to eat? (i'm pretty sure I'll be busy drinking beer before dinner
icon_biggrin.gif
)

Well, I hope you do to. It came out of my head as a response to the OP. I should make it myself one of these days.

I like a spicy roasted potato salad with ribs, served warm, but leftovers are good chilled too.

Well, the ribs with the metamorphosis rub turned out great. The only thing I would recommend is to give the ribs a pretty heavy dusting of it. I used a bit less that I should have because I was cooking for guests whose tolerance for heat I wasn't sure of...and the smoke flavor was much more pronounced than the rub. So next time, I'm givin' them a bit more. Great rub, though!

Hey all aquiring the ingredients for the rub now. I was wondering how hot is this rub? I have a moderate tolerance for heat but dont want a rub that is too overpowering with heat for my less tolerant friends and family members. Also was ordering these ingredients and it seems that Suzy from Sweet Freedom Farm says she is out of Aji Amarillo powder what would be a good substitute, or should I just wait till they come in?

Originally posted by Eric G:
Hey all aquiring the ingredients for the rub now. I was wondering how hot is this rub? I have a moderate tolerance for heat but dont want a rub that is too overpowering with heat for my less tolerant friends and family members. Also was ordering these ingredients and it seems that Suzy from Sweet Freedom Farm says she is out of Aji Amarillo powder what would be a good substitute, or should I just wait till they come in?

Suzy suggested Red Limo Powder when I ordered a few weeks back. It came out very well. I did not think it was too hot and I also have a moderate tolerance. Hope you enjoy it.

Greg

Heat is a thing that is so subjective in scale. I don't find this rub--irrespective of chile combinations--hot, since I wrote it for Adam, who I don't know, and based it on his OP which included just a T of cayenne in a 28 T recipe. The possible chile blends I noted on the first page would roughly approximate a similar heat level, give or take a little bit.

Of course, heat tends to mellow with long cooking so you can expect less heat if you use the rub on a long-cooked low/slow item, a bit more if a shorter high-heat cook, more still if a quickly grilled item. Even still, it's not an especially hot rub.

The hottest of the combos noted on this page or the previous is probably the two at the top of this page--the Aleppo/guajillo/aji blend or the Aleppo/guajillo/cascabel. No need to hold out for ajis (though I do recommend them--a terrific pepper); try, depending on what you have, 2 ancho, 2 Aleppo, 2 guajillo; 2.5 ancho, 1 Aleppo, .5 guajillo; or 4 T ancho, 1 T guajillo, 1 T cascabel if you don't have Aleppo and are looking for milder still.

See what you think.

Originally posted by Greg J:
Suzy suggested Red Limo Powder when I ordered a few weeks back. It came out very well. I did not think it was too hot and I also have a moderate tolerance. Hope you enjoy it.

Greg
Good suggestion by both you and Suzy.

Back