Metal Performer table paint

Jeff Beitinger

TVWBB Fan
For my blue Gen 2 performer refurb I decided I am going to replace the plastic table with the metal table from my recently acquired Gen 3.
Overall it's in pretty decent shape, aside from some scuffs and deep scratches (not down to bare metal at least) and a spot or two of light rust forming near the screws.
20211210_101344.jpg

And even though it's sure to get beat up over time, I wanna be the one who beats it up so I am leaning towards repainting the table.
I can't find anything where someone has decided to go ahead and do this so I guess I get to be the lucky first.
So I have some 80 grit to take off the old paint and a can of the rustoleum gloss black in the hammered finish ready and waiting.
Any other words of advice or especially caution are MORE than appreciated lol.

I don't think the paint needs to be heat tolerant the plastic tables don't melt near the bowl. Take those screws out most likely will see rust on the threads and the clips they screw in the table is probably fine. Clean those screws up replace with stainless then coat the threads with some anti seize before you put them back in you will thank yourself down the road as I did a old performer for a friend and was fortunate to get one of the screws out which was rusting to the clips they screw into.

I actually took my screws out and sprayed the heads and 1st couple of threads at the top with a gloss black spray paint sprayed the top of the heads and underneath the top of the heads. Mine is covered but I am going to replace those screws with stainless in the spring. I don't think your gonna be happy with the spray paint on the table its just to thin even with multiple coats to hold up sliding trays over the table and whatever. Mine was replaced by Weber so I have been careful with it but maybe get some metal polish buff the table out and be done with it.

That table really does not look bad to me to be honest another thing may be to see how much it would be to powder coat the table as I doubt Weber just sprayed it with paint. That table is crazy money now so you have money to play with.

I am looking forward to your results as I have the same performer with a rusty table and need to do the same. I was thinking of doing an epoxy coating after watching a video with very cool results but it may be too much work.

Do the holes line up? Just wondering. Also, I agree with above about getting even coats with the spray. I did that on my old genesis tables with poor results. A mini roller and a can of paint would probably work better. Just my two cents. Good luck.

I would paint over the original paint where it is in good condition. Scuff and clean.

I'd work the gouges next. Clean, scuff then use sandable primer. I would not spray the gouged areas at first, but instead use a small brush or Q tip to dab some paint in. Let it dry and lightly sand it.

Once the gouged areas are handled, then I'd again clean and scuff and clean the areas in good shape.

I'm not sure what paint to suggest.

I would paint over the original paint where it is in good condition. Scuff and clean.

I'd work the gouges next. Clean, scuff then use sandable primer. I would not spray the gouged areas at first, but instead use a small brush or Q tip to dab some paint in. Let it dry and lightly sand it.

Once the gouged areas are handled, then I'd again clean and scuff and clean the areas in good shape.

I'm not sure what paint to suggest.
Something else to consider is if it is even paint. Some say it's powder coating. Pretty weak powder coating if it is IMO

Last edited:
Or not sure I would give up the metal table but if your handy:
https://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2014/03/12/weber-crate-barrel-performer-wooden-table-mod/

If you know of a garage coating place and this finish would basically be indestructable I assume it can be done over metal will ask my buddy when I see him next:

I never had much luck with rattle can paint in an application that had things sat on it and slid across. I think it will look good for a short time, but rattel can paint is soft compared to powder coat. I think it wlll look worse than it does now in a short time. I'd either leave it or have it powder coated.

Jeff wise decision like Chuck said I felt the same way it would have made it worse cause it would not have held up.

The wood would look really nice if you have the tools and skills.

Back